Fun to drive? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the market for a new (to me) 4x4. The 100 series is like driving a sofa, the 200 is better but out of my budget. How does the FJ compare?

Nobody I know has one and though I have test driven one you don't really get a feel for it in town/traffic.

Fun factor in the drive is quite important to me, I had a 2004 Range Rover which I didn't enjoy after driving a 2008 Range Rover Sport and it took me a while to realise the reason I didn't like the car was that it drove like a sofa. Albeit better than a 100. Lack of reliability made me get rid of it.

Yes. I think lifted or at least leveled helps even more. Gets the hood up just a little higher, which I find enjoyable, and helps any annoying nose diving during braking, which can get old. I think the big dash and short windows give it a little 'big-rig' (passengers have mentioned tank) sort of feel... feels safe and confident. I still love driving mine after 8 years. No plans of changing it up.

My GX470 is like you describe driving a comfortable but kind of boring couch. I enjoy driving the FJC for all around fun and cool factor. I've driven my FJ Cruiser to the Arctic Ocean (north slope Alaska) and down to the tip of Baja (following the Baja 1000 race course). It was a blast and can't imagine having as much fun in any other truck.

If you want to make the FJC an absolute blast to drive get tube doors. But they do loose entertainment value in the rain :)

Mine is a 2008 6 speed manual full time 4 wheel drive. I beat the tar out of it and drive it like it's a sports car. I'll hit a big sweeper/on ramp so hard I'll start the feel the inner front tire break traction a little bit before the limited slip and/or electronic nannies kick in. So much fun. I can't believe how well it handles given the weight and high center of gravity.

I have driven my 2007 across the US twice. We have wheeled it in the Northeast and in CA.

Reliable and fun to drive. Another excuse to post some pictures:

Of course, it depends on your definition of fun to drive.

Go for it. The cool factor is there. They wheel pretty good stock and you can build them up to be a rock crawler if you want.
I get 18-20 MPG with BFG KO2"s LT 275 70 17 and is not bad on the road. Back seat/no roll down windows suck for passengers.
That's why they make full blown Land Cruisers for if your looking for total comfort. The FJC is my personal toy.

I’m currently driving a ‘16 LX570. It’s a great SUV - like a luxury tank. And I’ve had a newer Off Rd Premium 4Runner (with KDSS), GX470, GX460, 100 Series LC, two 80 Series LC’s, a newer Sequoia Platinum, and an ‘08 and ‘13 Trail Teams FJC. The ‘13 TT FJC was BY FAR, the most fun vehicle of that long list to drive. If not for my need for four doors and a bit more cargo space, I’d go back to one (and likely will at some point). I say you should get one!

Thanks for all your replies! Sounds like the FJ is exactly what I need, with a Range Rover or 100 when I can get a second car tihi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom