Full audio upgrade, speaker sizes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everyone says 6.5s go in the doors on an FJ? It's not even close without some serious metal cutting. I've installed my fair share of systems and I'm wondering why there are so many people saying 6.5s are plug and play. Not anywhere close...
This is a 100 series Forum FYI

Everyone says 6.5s go in the doors on an FJ? It's not even close without some serious metal cutting. I've installed my fair share of systems and I'm wondering why there are so many people saying 6.5s are plug and play. Not anywhere close...

I am not familiar with the FJ having never owned one and this is the 100 Series forum. 80 series may not be the same, I just don't know. My 6 1/2 were not exactly plug and play. They have mounting brackets that help give a solid fit.

Thanks for the write up and follow on discussion @West Hill . Did you have to upgrade any electrical i.e. "big three" in order to avoid headlights dimming or anything like that? You have plenty of power running (1000w + 500w max between two amps), curious what your experience is.

Thanks for the write up and follow on discussion @West Hill . Did you have to upgrade any electrical i.e. "big three" in order to avoid headlights dimming or anything like that? You have plenty of power running (1000w + 500w max between two amps), curious what your experience is.

No, I asked but was told it wasn't needed and I haven't had any problems. I have replaced the alternator but not because of the sound system but because it was over 20 years old.

Just to give you peace of mind even if those amps were 1000 and 500 that is measured with a sine so in most scenarios musically you will draw significantly less. If you replace your alt due to old age then sneaking your big three in there won’t be big deal effort wise. Otherwise, you don’t have to absolutely have to unless you have subs and a mono block amp that draw heavy bass hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom