Fuible Link / Shunt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fusible Link / Shunt

Howdy,

Looking for a replacement fusible link that comes off my ammeter. Can I use a normal fusible link or is there a specific resistance/ohms (I know that the ammeter uses this as a shunt) from Lordco or do I need a specific model? 1979 FJ40.

Cheers

Last edited:
Fusible Link

Jim: I bought a 78 FJ40 here a while back and it did not have a fusible link on it between the ammeter and the battery. I searched this forum and others and found various answers. So, I put a regular 30 amp fuse in line and it blew within 2 miles. I then went to Autozone and bought a 40 amp fusible link and placed it in line and I have had no more problem. They come in various sizes and types. I got the wire type, which is about 8 inches long and one end clamps to the battery post and the other end attaches to the wire going to th ammeter. I also bought a 50 amp and placed it in the dash pocket just in case.
This is just what I did and it worked for me. Others may have their own or a better idea. Good Luck.

i put one from an fj80 on my pig since i had it in the toolbox

Select a shunt to match the output capacity of your planned alternator.....or can be calculated by measuring the internal resistance of the meter...have a DMM?

Last edited:
Jim, I think your setup is the same as mine {11-79} the fusible link acts as a shunt for ammeter, you probably have the 3 wire plug for ammeter on right side of guage cluster. specter sells a fusible link, part # 020-30 for about 30 bucks. if your ammeter isnt working correctly swapping out your cluster to a earlier one with the same round plug but with a seperate ammeter & splitting yor white w/blue stripe wire at ammeter studs will work also. Good luck

is there a napa part # for the fusible link/shunt?

I notice you and Jim are located in BC, that being said are y'all running diesels? If so are they 12 or 24v systems? Also do the 12 & 24 gauges and shunts differ?:confused:

no diesels its the 2f so 12volt. jims a friend of mine and just wondering if napa would have anything like that. so we don't have to wait for it to be shipped. lordco has no clue what were talking about.

also can you install one of the older ampmeters that have it biult in.

Napa sells fusible link by the foot. If you get the same size and lenght, you will be in the ballpark.

My FJ is a 1975 and only the ammeter and temp gauge work. I recently bought a refurbished gauge cluster, but it has a 50 amp ammeter can I swap the 30 amp from my old one. Both 12 volt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom