Fuible Link / Shunt

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jim7brown7, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jim7brown7

jim7brown7

Fusible Link / Shunt

Howdy,

Looking for a replacement fusible link that comes off my ammeter. Can I use a normal fusible link or is there a specific resistance/ohms (I know that the ammeter uses this as a shunt) from Lordco or do I need a specific model? 1979 FJ40.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. gibgoaz8

gibgoaz8

Fusible Link

Jim: I bought a 78 FJ40 here a while back and it did not have a fusible link on it between the ammeter and the battery. I searched this forum and others and found various answers. So, I put a regular 30 amp fuse in line and it blew within 2 miles. I then went to Autozone and bought a 40 amp fusible link and placed it in line and I have had no more problem. They come in various sizes and types. I got the wire type, which is about 8 inches long and one end clamps to the battery post and the other end attaches to the wire going to th ammeter. I also bought a 50 amp and placed it in the dash pocket just in case.
    This is just what I did and it worked for me. Others may have their own or a better idea. Good Luck.

3. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    i put one from an fj80 on my pig since i had it in the toolbox

4. grant5127

grant5127

Select a shunt to match the output capacity of your planned alternator.....or can be calculated by measuring the internal resistance of the meter...have a DMM?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. rrchisum

rrchisum

Media:
    Albums:
    Jim, I think your setup is the same as mine {11-79} the fusible link acts as a shunt for ammeter, you probably have the 3 wire plug for ammeter on right side of guage cluster. specter sells a fusible link, part # 020-30 for about 30 bucks. if your ammeter isnt working correctly swapping out your cluster to a earlier one with the same round plug but with a seperate ammeter & splitting yor white w/blue stripe wire at ammeter studs will work also. Good luck

6. steverb

steverb meh, eh!

Media:
    Albums:
    is there a napa part # for the fusible link/shunt?

7. Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

I notice you and Jim are located in BC, that being said are y'all running diesels? If so are they 12 or 24v systems? Also do the 12 & 24 gauges and shunts differ?:confused:

8. steverb

steverb meh, eh!

Media:
    Albums:
    no diesels its the 2f so 12volt. jims a friend of mine and just wondering if napa would have anything like that. so we don't have to wait for it to be shipped. lordco has no clue what were talking about.

also can you install one of the older ampmeters that have it biult in.

9. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Napa sells fusible link by the foot. If you get the same size and lenght, you will be in the ballpark.

10. FramkenCruiser

FramkenCruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    My FJ is a 1975 and only the ammeter and temp gauge work. I recently bought a refurbished gauge cluster, but it has a 50 amp ammeter can I swap the 30 amp from my old one. Both 12 volt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.