Fuel vaporizing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, New to me 1989 FJ62 with startup problems when engine at normal temp. When engine is cold the truck starts within a couple seconds of turning over with no gas pedal assistance. But once its warm it take 10-15 seconds and half throttle to fire. Once its running it seems to have power and no burps or hesitation while driving.

Recently at 270k miles I had the head rebuilt so while apart I replaced injectors, fuel regulator, fuel damper, fuel filter and fuel pump with new filter in tank hoping to solve this problem. I also cleaned the Air flow meter assembly and the interior door seems to open and close fine while its on the bench. I live in Florida so no elevation and doesn't matter with outside ambient air temp. Also early on I had to replace the fuel injector relay on one day when it didn't start at all.

Anything else to check?

Thanks

Does your carb cooling fan work after you shut the truck off?
It’s a 62 so it’s fuel injected.
I’d possibly check the coolant temp sensor; a cold engine needs more fuel, if you have a bunk sensor that’s telling the ecm it’s very, very cold, it can give you loads of trouble starting when warm.

edit; or IAT sensor if they have one. Could be built into the MAF.

Does your carb cooling fan work after you shut the truck off?
Carb cooling? Is that the little fan at drivers firewall. If so.....sometimes I hear it but don’t think ever time I drive. Engine temp runs normal except at highway speeds. Then it runs one bar below red. I’m told that may be restrictive exhaust. Hoping to get that replaced soon.

I’d possibly check the coolant temp sensor; a cold engine needs more fuel, if you have a bunk sensor that’s telling the ecm it’s very, very cold, it can give you loads of trouble starting when warm.

I didnt catch that in the post on first read

Carb cooling? Is that the little fan at drivers firewall. If so.....sometimes I hear it but don’t think ever time I drive. Engine temp runs normal except at highway speeds. Then it runs one bar below red. I’m told that may be restrictive exhaust. Hoping to get that replaced soon.

You can disregard my question. I didnt catch that it was a 62 with EFI

@BlackCat is probably correct. Check your temp sensor on your water housing by the thermostat. If your car tends to idle rough after it’s warmed up, the temp sensor tells the ECU it’s cold when the engine is hot. It affects starting too.
did mine, easy fix.
also makes sense to check that your timing is set to 7 degrees before TDC.
Cheers.

Welcome do fun and games with the 3FE.
It’s quite likely other adjustments were made over time to compensate for your bad temp sensor. Several systems interact and when you change/modify one, you might have to adjust another.

Here is what I would do:
1. Recheck/reset your timing to 7 degrees before TDC. Make sure you jump the te1 e1 terminals
2. Check your magic screw (the brass screw coming out of the front end of your eco unit. If it is too far out (loosened counter clockwise) it will let too much air in and cause a high idle
3. And is is what was causing my high idle, adjust your throttle position sensor counter clockwise until your idle drops down to factory specs. The instructions are in the FSM.

You are in he home stretch.

Any gas smell once it starts after the longer cranking? If so definitely could be fuel pulsation damper. Sound like very similar symptoms. Good luck!

Changed out the water temp sensor and no luck. Now it idles at 1200 so can’t check timing. Going to take off and clean Air flow meter and check ISC valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom