Fuel Tank Repair Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a recommendation to repair my 1993 FZJ75 pickup tank (steel). I've looked all over the world trying to get a new tank - none to be found or out of stock. I have a slow drip on the very bottom of the tank - most likely something got between the tank and the skid plate. It was repaired by someone in the past. Several small patches. From the search I've done it looks like @murf helped someone with this when he was at CBT but they pulled their tank. I'd rather not drop the tank because I'll be waiting for gaskets if I do. The access is easy as it's right on the very bottom of the tank. Recommendations are appreciated! :)

Looking for a recommendation to repair my 1993 FZJ75 pickup tank (steel). I've looked all over the world trying to get a new tank - none to be found or out of stock. I have a slow drip on the very bottom of the tank - most likely something got between the tank and the skid plate. It was repaired by someone in the past. Several small patches. From the search I've done it looks like @murf helped someone with this when he was at CBT but they pulled their tank. I'd rather not drop the tank because I'll be waiting for gaskets if I do. The access is easy as it's right on the very bottom of the tank. Recommendations are appreciated! :)

I was hoping it would mention if it works with an active leak, but it doesn't say. I'd guess you would need it to be dry. You could get creative, like draining the tank as much as possible and then lifting one side or end of the truck to get the remaining fuel away from the hole. If it were mine, I'd get the gaskets, pull the tank and have it fixed properly, but maybe this could work. I'm skeptical, especially since you mentioned 'several' previous attempts to patch it.

@LongDuck

I believe you had some work done on your gas tank a few years ago. Any input on this subject matter. I was talking with Jeff about this at the Thanksgiving parade.

The work which was done included replacing the tank. Twice.

In the case of the 80 series, there's a vacuum solenoid under the upper intake manifold that should be tested and replaced if it doesn't flow air out of the system on shutdown. In my case, this solenoid was clogged or inoperable resulting in the fuel tank retaining pressure on shutdown. This pressurization and depressurization resulted in an oil-can dent being flexed back and forth with every cycle, eventually breaking through a fatigue crack riht where the factory press formed a sharp angle.

I doubt this is the same problem for OP, but replacing the tank is likely the best (*and safest) option.

The work which was done included replacing the tank. Twice.

In the case of the 80 series, there's a vacuum solenoid under the upper intake manifold that should be tested and replaced if it doesn't flow air out of the system on shutdown. In my case, this solenoid was clogged or inoperable resulting in the fuel tank retaining pressure on shutdown. This pressurization and depressurization resulted in an oil-can dent being flexed back and forth with every cycle, eventually breaking through a fatigue crack riht where the factory press formed a sharp angle.

I doubt this is the same problem for OP, but replacing the tank is likely the best (*and safest) option.
Thanks. Yes my problem is different as I have several small holes on the bottom of the tank. I'd buy a tank if I could find one!

Thanks. Yes my problem is different as I have several small holes on the bottom of the tank. I'd buy a tank if I could find one.
Is it rust? Maybe from the inside?

Is it rust? Maybe from the inside?
I believe it's from small pebbles getting between the tank and the skid plate. The gap is really small so I could see this easily happening. I'll be lining the space between the two with rubber to solve this.

If it's just some small pin holes then my thoughts are to disconnect and drop the tank, drain completely and let it vent out and then apply KBS Tank Sealer to the fuel tank interior. it is a multistep process that takes a number of days (cleaning, etching and finally sealing) but the end product is very resilient and will surely fill the pin holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom