Fuel Pumps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased a 78 FJ40 and had to replace motor rear seal. While doing this, I noticed that there was an electric fuel pump mounted just inside my passenger side rail close to my gas tank. However, vehicle also has a manual OEM fuel pump. I don't know any idea why the original owner had it this way and I can't get in touch with him. Any ideas? Do I run them both at same time? Maybe he mounted electric as back up? Fuel line runs to a small square unit that is about 1 inch by 1 inch, which I guess is some type of filter. Then it runs to the electric fuel pump, then it runs on up through my inline filter, then it runs to the mechanical pump. Am I putting too much pressure on carb running them both. If I can get by with one, which one is better. If I run the electric, do I nee to take the manual off and cover with plate? A lot of dumb questions from a rookie. Any help will be appreciated... Thank you very much.

I have bought several cruisers this way. I pulled both and put a new manual one on. Cruisers were fine after that. Mike

Some folks install electric pumps when there is a fuel delivery problem such as tank ventilation or crap, crud or rust restricting the normal flow.......

Its pretty easy to remove the sending unit and inspect the innards of the tank..... good to know whats in there anyway, could head-off a future problem like stranded road-side........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom