Fuel Pump Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to find out how to replace the fuel pump and filter on my '06 Land Cruiser. Is it a one or two banana job or should I just have my mechanic do it? I hope this will be the fix for my "Engine Shutting Off On Long Trips" problem.
Thanks in advance.

i had my fuel pump replaced. I didn't do the work, had my mechanic do it. It is an in tank pump, you get to it through a hatch under the rear seats and under the carpeting...I think it's relatively simple...but i can't say for sure not having had my hands on it.

if you suspect a fuel delivery problem it's much more likely to the filter than the pump. The filter on my '04 is on the driver's side in the engine bay and very easy to get at. Other than getting the joints tight enough to not leak, replacement is easy. I'd do the filter first and maybe the pump relay. Pump last, though I suppose it could also be a corroded or loose connection to the pump. Working inside the tank means dealing with explosive vapors, no matter how simple the wrenching itself is. Unless you are really confident you can work on the pump without needing a parachute to let yourself down gently after the explosion, pay someone else to do it.

I just read some more threads on this and I see it could very well be a pump problem.

Last edited:
It's probably not too bad of a job. I paid my mechanic $125 which is 2.5 hours labor to do the job, that includes fuel pump and fuel filter. Well worth it in my book. Would have likely taken me double that amount of time.

Btw I had mine done as preventative maintanence since I use it for long road trips. In my experience, fuel pumps can fail with no warning so it is cheap insurance in my book.

It's probably not too bad of a job. I paid my mechanic $125 which is 2.5 hours labor to do the job, that includes fuel pump and fuel filter. Well worth it in my book. Would have likely taken me double that amount of time.

Btw I had mine done as preventative maintanence since I use it for long road trips. In my experience, fuel pumps can fail with no warning so it is cheap insurance in my book.

Your guy is working for free (and then some). A pump is $150+ and a fuel filter is $35. I would check and make sure those things actually got replaced for $125. Even if that was just labor, $50 per hour is cheap shop time.

Sorry, I just realized I was unclear on my post. I brought the Denso pump and fuel filter in myself and had the guy put it in for me. My mechanic works for himself and charges $50 an hour. He rents a small space at a local garage so his overhead is low (he used to do all his work at his home).
I believe I paid $125 for the Denso pump.

I am about to replace my 2001 pump. I replaced the pump on my 1992 FJ80. It was easy. Hatch under 2nd row seats. Disconnect negaative cable on battery frst, remove carpet (the most time consuming part of the job) and clean the top of the hatch and surrounding areas before removing. One banana job

Last edited:
Its easy. My denso from amazon did not come with a "pre filter" that is to be installed on the pump. I just reused the old one.

I need to find out how to replace the fuel pump and filter on my '06 Land Cruiser. Is it a one or two banana job or should I just have my mechanic do it? I hope this will be the fix for my "Engine Shutting Off On Long Trips" problem.
Thanks in advance.
I'll be in Park City on Saturday. I'm experiencing an issue that's similar but different where the EFI fuse burns out while in operation and it comes to a halt. I may leave it at a Dealer near SLC and let them take a look. But check me here on the site and I'll let you know..if you're really near me, I can throw in my .02 cents.

I'll be in Park City on Saturday. I'm experiencing an issue that's similar but different where the EFI fuse burns out while in operation and it comes to a halt. I may leave it at a Dealer near SLC and let them take a look. But check me here on the site and I'll let you know..if you're really near me, I can throw in my .02 cents.

Rather than a dealership in Salt Lake, I'd recommend Divinity Auto. Ralph has worked on my Land Cruiser and others. He has a passion for Toyota SUVs that you definitely won't find at a local dealership (from my experience).

Good luck.

^^ Ditto. Divinity does good work for reasonable prices. They are close to downtown SLC.

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Ok. Much appreciated. There is a short somewhere in the feed going to the fuel pump. My guess. It is blowing the EFI fuse on a consistent basis.

I've replaced the EFI relay and will likely replace the fuel pump relay as well.

But I'd still feel comfy if someone could diagnose any fluctuation in charge being sent to the fuel pump.

I may call Divinity Auto tomorrow..

My dealership quoted me $400 to change the pump. But I'm more interested in the method/access...

I have a drawer system in my cargo area. Where is the access to the tank? in the 2nd row or the cargo area? Really don't want to pull the drawer system...

Second row, DS.

Lift up the second row seat, pull up the carpet and you'll see the large round plate that provides access to the pump.

IIRC it is held on by three screws.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the recommendation of Ralph at Divinity Auto. We had a brief phone call and he was able to help talk me through some spot diagnosis of the problems with my relay. It was fixed and worked perfectly for an 1,800 mile trip. Ralph quickly pointed out where I should spend my time and how to best approach the issue I faced. Not surprisingly, he was also right about his diagnosis! What a luxury to have knowledgeable 4x4 and Land Cruiser people in Utah:)

I also had some help from Mark Miller Toyota. While I'm certainly suspicious of dealers, I used them as a shipping point and they were fantastic. I felt guilty that I was suspicious of them as I am with all dealers, but they were professional. That's two trips through Utah...need to make a third:)

Thanks Smooth and Kapo!

Sorry El Cid- I kind of forgot about this post. I wasn't in Park City when you were here- up in Wyoming fishing. Any way, I'm glad the local boys took care of you. As far as the fuel pump issue, I think I have found the cause of my problem. If I fill my gas tank before I take the long climb up Parley's Cyn in the heat I don't have the stalling problem. I think it is caused by the fuel pump overheating when it isn't covered and cooled by the gas in the tank. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No problem at all. Trip to Park City was...surreal. Bumped into someone I didn't think I'd see.

My problem is I need to add something to my wiring on my dual battery that will prevent the radio from drawing while the car isn't running....any suggestions?

Carpet pulled, access hatch removed, key in start position will I hear the fuel pump in the tank run for its preassure up? I haven't heard it before, but never really listened for it.

I have checked efi fuse and relay. Even bypassed really with hot in F input.

Also, can anyone tell me the hot and ground to try to bypass wiring to check fuel pump at tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom