Fuel Pump Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm chasing down a knocking noise that seems to be coming from the area of the fuel pump. I pulled the pump this evening, and it passed all the functional tests in the FSM. However, the lever stroke seemed pretty short (1/4 inch) and it was somewhat difficult to move the lever by hand. I'd say at least 10-15 lbs of hand pressure to move the lever. Is the short stroke and high resistance normal for these fuel pumps?

Thanks

That seems o.k but when in doubt change it out! Last thing you want is for it to go out when your out there on an old skid trail.

I recently replaced my fuel pump. I read (on mud of couse) that the carter fuel pump was the same as OEM. Bought one from rockauto.com ($65) and it sure seemed to be OEM to me. Recommended.

that sounds about normal and if it passed all of the tests in the FSM, you should be fine.

however, for piece of mind's sake, you might want to replace it since it's off the truck already. in my book, piece of mind is worth a lot!

don't forget to change your fuel filter if you change the pump.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like my pump is fine. I may swap in one from my roommate's FJ60 this weekend just for fun, but now I'm doubting that the fuel pump is the source of my knocking. It's a little disappointing, I was hoping somebody would tell me that my fuel pump was totally screwed and then I'd swap it out and my knock would be gone. The search continues.....

Just to follow up, I swapped in my roommate's fuel pump this evening and my motor was still knocking. One curious note was that I realized the two fuel lines coming from the gas tank were installed incorrectly before I owned the vehicle. The fuel line w/ the fuel filter was hooked up to the fuel pump relief port, and the other fuel line was hooked up to the pump inlet port. It's funny because the rig has run fine all these years, but I wonder what sediment has made it into the carb. Anyways, that is off the topic. The bottom line is that I'll be looking elsewhere for my engine knock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom