Fuel Mileage -- Diesel and Gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all -- I've read a bunch of threads on this topic. I'm going to import a 1990 80 series from Japan. At first it was going to be diesel, but now I'm going with gas because an 80 gas is a LOT cheaper in Japan as a RHD.

It's a bit funny how a lot of gas mileage figures are posted here in US gallons, with Canadians with diesels responding (unknowingly perhaps) with Imperial gallons. So being a canuck, I calculate the following

80 series gas - avg 14mpg (US) = nearly 17 mpg (imperial)
80 series diesel avg 20 mpg (USl) = 24 mpg (imperial)

Is a 7mpg (imperial) really worth the extra cost ($5-$7k+) and the risk of the BEB and turbo if equipped? Not to mention having to order parts, even if they are around the internet, they are not typically at the local parts shop.

It seems a person really has to love diesel to make the effort. I've driven both and the gasser almost seems to have more pep off the line!!

What am I missing here?

What exactly is the point of importing a gas 80 series? Can't you just go out and buy one? Diesels are the balls. I've never driven a diesel 80, but I'd love one anyway. I've driven diesels on and off road, and definetly prefer a diesel. More pulling power, less fuel consumption especially off road. They smell bad. They're loud. They last forever. Theyre waterproof. They rock. If you're going to go through the hassle of importing an 80, make it a diesel. If you don't want it, I'll trade you my gasser for it!

I have an HDJ81 with the 4.2 turbodiesel. These trucks can get up to 26 miles per imperial gallon, although that hasn't been my experience. Based on your numbers, it may not be worth the premium in your eyes for diesel. But what if gas gets more expensive, which is almost certainly the case? Also, if you do much off road work, you will see your figure for the gas motor drop drastically, while it seems to have little effect on the diesel. I've also driven both, and to me, diesel really suits the character of the 80 series more than gas. It's all in what is important to you. But look at it this way. The VAST majority of these trucks people are willing to pay big bucks for are diesel.

Gas imports are still a fair bit cheaper than local 80's, with typically under 100k km's on the dial, and have only seen city use. I can't argue with you about the fact that the diesel is just a more satisfying "truck" but still wondering if it is worth a $5k-$7k premium.

Erratic said:
What exactly is the point of importing a gas 80 series? Can't you just go out and buy one? Diesels are the balls. I've never driven a diesel 80, but I'd love one anyway. I've driven diesels on and off road, and definetly prefer a diesel. More pulling power, less fuel consumption especially off road. They smell bad. They're loud. They last forever. Theyre waterproof. They rock. If you're going to go through the hassle of importing an 80, make it a diesel. If you don't want it, I'll trade you my gasser for it!

The only guy I know of with this 80 gets 21 mpg imperial on avg. I hear you about gas, but diesel was more expensive than gas just a short time ago, so hard to predict where it will go. Hadn't considered offroad mileage though, and I suppose taking extra diesel along is safer than packing extra gas.

Have you had any trouble getting parts? That's my other concern. It's a pretty major commitment, especially buying sight unseen.

Martin White said:
I have an HDJ81 with the 4.2 turbodiesel. These trucks can get up to 26 miles per imperial gallon, although that hasn't been my experience. Based on your numbers, it may not be worth the premium in your eyes for diesel. But what if gas gets more expensive, which is almost certainly the case? Also, if you do much off road work, you will see your figure for the gas motor drop drastically, while it seems to have little effect on the diesel. I've also driven both, and to me, diesel really suits the character of the 80 series more than gas. It's all in what is important to you. But look at it this way. The VAST majority of these trucks people are willing to pay big bucks for are diesel.

I don't know why anybody would bother importing a gas 80 from Japan, when you can already easily get one in North America. You have no location in your sig, but you could almost certainly find one that you would not have to buy "sight unseen".
EDIT: missed your post where you say they are cheaper than local 80's. I do find that a little hard to believe, but they would have to be substantially cheaper for me to purchase. To me, "high miles" are not that significant with these, if they are in good condition, they will go forever.

onlytoyota said:
Is a 7mpg (imperial) really worth the extra cost ($5-$7k+) and the risk of the BEB and turbo if equipped? Not to mention having to order parts, even if they are around the internet, they are not typically at the local parts shop.

It seems a person really has to love diesel to make the effort. I've driven both and the gasser almost seems to have more pep off the line!!

What am I missing here?

You're right, the reason for getting a diesel is because "I want one." It sounds like it wouldn't be worthwhile for you.

Since the 80 series weren't imported into Canada and the LX450s are limited in number, you will have issues with local parts for any 80; nothing time and money can't take care of. For some diesel parts you'll have more trouble, but air freight from Oz or the Cruiser homeland makes the world a lot smaller and your wallet lighter.

Since $ are a big part of your decision, you should also consider resale. I think that there will be a smaller market for a RHD FJ80 than a RHD HDJ81 in Canada. When the times comes, it may be difficult for you to sell a RHD gasser.

If I were buying a 80 series gasser, I think I would want the FZJ80 instead of the FJ80; that means waiting until August, 2007 for the Japanese models to start becoming importable.

G'luck, -Steve

Ya.. what wussypup said! The 1FZ-FE didn't happen until 92/08 production date.
If you buy a JDM FJ80 I think you will be disapointed with both the power and fuel economy of the 3FE. You may want to look at buying a 93 up FZJ80 out of the states, US market vehicles don't have to be 15yrs old to import into Canada.
If you get tired of the 15mpg you can always diesel swap it.
My 1HD-T swapped 93 FZJ80 ranges from as low as 660km per 85liter tank city driving, and as much as 810km strictly hwy (no mountains) The 1FZ-FE would only go 450-480km per tank. I also find the low end torque is better with the diesel, you certainly don't have to put your foot to the floor and drop a gear to get a response.

I take a long ( relative for me ) trip few moth ago in my HDJ-80 I get no more than 28 km/gal ( us gal ) in a mostly highway climbbs convination of road .. all on road.

No Brainer. I would go for the Diesel without hesitation. If you were to resell the diesel you would probably make more than the $5 to $7K it cost you to get it.

Also, a diesel engine will burn far more than just "diesel" fuel. Figure that in your cost calculation, and the choice is simple.

Get the diesel, if you are disappointed, call me and so long as we can figure out a way to get it into the US, I'll take it off your hands. Name your price.

What everyone else said. And, from driving both, there is something infinitely more satisfying about driving the diesel than the gas powered truck. These trucks really were meant to be powered by diesel. I know I'm in the subjective realm here, but it's something you have to try yourself. It's possible you just may not be a diesel person. But I don't think I'll go back to gas again, having driven diesel.

Had both gas and diesel, owned the gasser first and several diesels afterwords.

Hands down no comparision, torque on and off road is the real deal.

It just seems to do everthing better, long mountain climbs fully loaded, rock crawling and MPG.......

Use to be diesels were known to be real slugs, not the case these days, diesel rigs can make 175HP and over double that in torque specs. Some light tuning on these diesels can yield some unreal power.

My 60 series (12h-t direct injection turbo diesel) gets 24 - 26 mpg on a trip and maybe 19 mpg around town.

My 80 series (1997) 1HZ indirect injection diesel (no turbo) got 24 mpg around town. I haven't tested on a trip. It looks like it uses more fuel now that I have fitted a Safari turbo.

My friends 80 series (1994 4.5 EFI petrol) gets at best 22mpg on a trip with heaps less around town (12mpg?).

The diesels fuel economy doesn't drop too much around town and when 4WDriving (and towing). I don't think that I paid much more for my 60 series than a petrol version would have cost. I don't think that I would have paid much less for a petrol version of my 80 series (same condition). Diesels usually cost/sell for more than a petrol Landcruiser here.

Diesel fuel here costs about 10-12% more than petrol, but I get 30% better fuel economy (town/off-road driving).

All the vehicles referred to above have 5 speed manual transmissions. I have referred to 'imperial' gallons and not US gallons. 1 US gallon = 0.83 Imperial gallons.

My 60 series (12h-t direct injection turbo diesel) gets 24 - 26 mpg on a trip and maybe 19 mpg around town.

My 80 series (1997) 1HZ indirect injection diesel (no turbo) got 24 mpg around town. I haven't tested on a trip. It looks like it uses more fuel now that I have fitted a Safari turbo.

My friends 80 series (1994 4.5 EFI petrol) gets at best 22mpg on a trip with heaps less around town (12mpg?).

The diesels fuel economy doesn't drop too much around town and when 4WDriving (and towing). I don't think that I paid much more for my 60 series than a petrol version would have cost. I don't think that I would have paid much less for a petrol version of my 80 series (same condition). Diesels usually cost/sell for more than a petrol Landcruiser here.

Diesel fuel here costs about 10-12% more than petrol, but I get 30% better fuel economy (town/off-road driving).

All the vehicles referred to above have 5 speed manual transmissions. I have referred to 'imperial' gallons and not US gallons. 1 US gallon = 0.83 Imperial gallons.
Hey how’s your 1hz 80 series Doing? Been looking into swapping one Into mine?!? Highway mpg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom