front widshield replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, im getting a new front windshield for my fj60. i was wondering if i can reuse the rubber gasket or is best to change out with a new one with the glass. any body with experience doing this let me know
cheers:beer:

The last time I recplaced my windshiled I reused the gasket as it wasn't that pitted or worn. There are aftermarket gaskets out there but some don't take the trim into account. Can't remember what Toyota wanted for it but know it is definately available.

George

Push on it with the pointy end of a ballpoint pen in a few spots. If it bounces right back, you're OK. If not, time for a new one. Also, if there are cracks, replace it.

I can't get the original one with the trim groove any more on the aftermarket. I hate the trim anyway.

Tinker, do you have some pictures of the gasket without trim on them installed. I need to replace my windshield and have thegasket with trim around mine. I'm trying to decide which would look better.

Mine is an '84 and I had the glass replaced last year (I think the first time that it had ever been done) and I just had the dudes reuse the gasket and it works great. I left the trim out and it looks great. If Tinker doesn't post up a pic, I will.

I'll try to call my old customer/neighbor, Big Bob, & see if he still has his LS1 383 60. He Bought an FJ Cruiser & the old tank (he's owned it since new) was mostly sitting last time we spoke.

We put a non-chrome gasket it it years ago & have re-used it since (we replace the windshield for him about every year or two). If he can bring it by I'll snap a pic & post it.

The gasket looks just like the original except no groove for the trim. Looks better than the "80s" original IMHO.

Cool! Looking forward to those pics!

I'm going to get a PPG windshield as soon as I can find someone in the Columbus, GA/Fort Benning area that uses PPG glass. You would think it is a big secret on the national chains' websites. If I have to, I'll go to Atlanta but would rather visit Tinker in Colorado than drive in Atlanta's 24/7 rush hour traffic.

If anyone knows a good national chain or an independent in the border area of AL/GA - I'm all ears.

Thanks Calphi27...I was already tuned ito the fact that Safelite is using Chinese glass. I almost chose them :doh:except for the superior advice on Mud!

PPG is the way to go. As far as the gasket goes, it is about $100.00 from the dealer. My 2 cents is that you should just replace it, you don't want to be chasing a water leak, etc.

Zack

In case anyone needs it, Binswanger Glass can get PPG windshields. I spoke with a tech this morning that was fixing a Tahoe at work.

Reminder

Gotta love mud! It allowed me to answer my own question. I had lost my notes on the local PPG shop. :doh:

I only use PPG. The rest delaminate and fog . I always replace the gasket and use Toyota. 2 cents . MIke

I have had good luck with a Pilkington replacement windshield and one piece gasket.

Dynosoar:zilla:
ws1.jpg
ws2.jpg

I'm runnig the same setup as Dyno with good results after the glass co. sealed the windshield after install.

In case anyone needs it, Binswanger Glass can get PPG windshields. I spoke with a tech this morning that was fixing a Tahoe at work.

$$$???

Hay guys,

This is one of the few things I have ever yet to do to a vehicle. I would like to know what are the steps to R&R the shield on these trucks. There is one up north would like to place on my vehicle..once funds are available. Tired of seeing that crack in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom