Front suspension rattle - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
I've got a "chirping" sound coming from the front suspension of my '93 FZJ80 - I checked and re-packed the wheel bearings on a recent brake job so I've scratched that possibility. Any ideas - shocks? birfs? Anything else?

Tucker

T,

A little shy on details. "A chirping sound" leaves a lot of uncovered ground.

Doug

Sorry to be non-descript, I don't know how to describe it other than a high pitch rattle in the suspension (ie. driving slowly w/ the windows down). Suspension travel is fine over rough stuff - it just rattles on everyday terrain (pot holes etc...). I've been reading about the birf. repacks - it just seemed a lot more solid to me than whatever is making this noise when I had my hubs apart.

Tucker

Brake pads rattling? My wife's came with some of the spring clips missing, I think it's common.

>> Brake pads rattling? <<

Good suggestion. Mine were also missing and the sound is like what Tucker is describing.

-B-

Eliminate the brakes by finding a stretch of road that does it at a certain speed, then gently apply the brakes and gently apply the throttle to maintain the speed over the same stretch. If it still does it, you'll have more info. If it's a more authoritative (seems heavier) type of rattle, then it might also be the spindle bushings, which develop slight slack but is not a concern for road use but might be with heavy offroad use and large tires.

Doug

If you can eliminate the brakes as the source, check your sway bar bushings ro see if they are shot (torn or worn). Mine chirped under the conditions you described and it was the from sway bar bushings. Cheap and easy fix. :beer:

I second the bushing theory. Mine has the same symptoms. I've read about "squeaky" bushings on OME's site and feel this is probably the cause --- Just haven't had time to check it out. I think it was on their main page? I'm anxious to hear what works.

Thanks for the tips - I'll check it out after work today, the sway bar is looking more like the culprit though (brake pads had all the pieces that came off). I'll let you guys know - T

btw - anyone know of a good place to buy bushings (individually)?

I believe the omnipotent "Hall Monitor" can set you up with the required OEM bushings. That's what fixed my PITA squeak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom