Front suspension popping noise diagnosis help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could use some help.

Symptoms: when turning left and unloading the suspension, I get a single pop noise in the front left. I can make successive left hand turns after that and no pop. As soon as I make a right hand turn, I’ll get another pop.

What I’ve tried so far: removed and retightened the front left adjusting nut and lock nut. Tightened the front left shock nut.

One thing I noticed is the front left tie rod end boot is spewing grease.

Anyone else diagnosed similar symptoms?

I'd check the panhard bar first. Check that bolts are tightened. Hows the bushings? Sometimes its good to just remove and replace and it will fix popping like that.

Start checking torque on suspension and steering components as well as play in the rod ends.

I jacked the tire off the ground and did the 3 o'clock 9 o’clock thing and 6/12 thing and didn’t feel anything.

Just hoping it’s not a birf. Looks like those things have gone up over the years.

Top of left front shock, make sure it’s seated and tight.

I had a similar pop sound from the front left on turns and when hitting a bump. I couldn’t nail it down to 100% predictability but once I replaced my panhard bushings (they were starting to separate) the sound went away. I would recommend taking a look at yours.

I was getting some of that and the panhard bracket welded to the frame under he steering gear was cracked.

I don't offroad, but I do know this truck had been in a hard right front corner accident that may have impacted that hard.

Check your Sway bar bushings as well

Thanks for the feedback. What am I looking for to check the various bushings?

All of the advice above is good.

Also check radius arm bolts are torqued to spec after checking that radius arm bolt holes in the diff housing haven't become elongated.
I had a cruiser where the bolt holes became elongated and I'd get a pop like you describe

What am I looking for to check the various bushings?
Seeing as most of our trucks are now at least 25 years old, with anywhere between 100, to 300 thousand miles on them. So it might be a good idea to plan on replacing all the front, and rear axle rubber bushings while you can still order them from Toyota.

Believe I am experiencing the same issue. I just replaced front sway bar bushings. No difference. Checked torque on all the front suspension components. No suspension or bearing wiggle. Doing rear sway bar next. Did my rear panhard about a year ago so the front one will be next. Then the frame control arm bushings. I'll update as I go.

Not the rear sway bar....on to the front panhard.

Annnd, front panhard bushings? No. :bang: Replaced them and the sound continues. Control arms are next. Not sure what I am going to do with them. Have the OME caster correction bushings but seriously thinking about the Delta VS arms.

Mine was the end links on the sway bar to frame connection. Sway bar off no noise. Install and noise is back and I can feel it by my feet when I pay attention.

Remove or disconnect and see.

Mine was the end links on the sway bar to frame connection. Sway bar off no noise. Install and noise is back and I can feel it by my feet when I pay attention.

Remove or disconnect and see.
I’ve got the same noise coming from my front end. I disconnected front sway bar and no difference.
I get my pop when I’m flexing and the left side unloads. Nothing when turning. Mine sounds like it may be from radius arm bushings (I can feel the pop in the floorboard when it happens). I need to dig around with a pry bar on all bushings too.

I’ve got the same noise coming from my front end. I disconnected front sway bar and no difference.
I get my pop when I’m flexing and the left side unloads. Nothing when turning. Mine sounds like it may be from radius arm bushings (I can feel the pop in the floorboard when it happens). I need to dig around with a pry bar on all bushings too.
Yeah, same here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom