Front Steering/Suspension Noise Identification Request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2004 with 225k miles makes noise related to steering/suspension I can't identify.
When driving very slow with FULL left turn, or when starting from stationary and turning hard to the left a "knock" that finishes with a "twang" sound comes from the driver's side front wheel area.

Recently I installed new steering rack bushes (but rack is original) and I have repacked the wheel bearings. It uses no power steering fluid with just the smallest amount of seepage from the rack. Also recent new shocks.

Ideas and suggested tests much appreciated.

ADDITIONAL SYMPTOM. At extremes of wheel turn front of truck will rise then fall as turning the other way. Also quite a lot of grease on lef steering rack boot. Do I need a new rack?

I feel a "knock" in my steering wheel when I start turning the wheel, like when leaving a parking spot. No leaks or other failures from the steering rack. Not sure if it's the same symptom you are describing since mine is from the steering wheel and not the wheel. Hasn't affected performance or drivability other than the sound it produces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom