Front shackles with SAS w/RUF ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All of this is on a 87 mini truck so as the title states what’s some thoughts of doing a SAS w/RUF with the shackles in the front like a cruiser?

Approach angle is almost the same if you use a drop hanger in a kit (approx 5”)

This would help pinion angle issues

Spring pad angle is right @ 6* which I believe is my castor angle correct me if I’m wrong please

Thoughts ? And thanks

All of this is on a 87 mini truck so as the title states what’s some thoughts of doing a SAS w/RUF with the shackles in the front like a cruiser?

Approach angle is almost the same if you use a drop hanger in a kit (approx 5”)

This would help pinion angle issues

Spring pad angle is right @ 6* which I believe is my castor angle correct me if I’m wrong please

Thoughts ? And thanks
The reason most people do a shackle reverse on a cruiser is because when the spring compresses it moves the axle toward the shackles. On a cruiser this means when you are trying to go over something and the spring is compressing, it is pushing the tire against whatever you going over. If you are building an off-road truck, go with dual cases and driveline angles won’t be an issue.

I'm blanking, "RUF"?

Concur, front shackles are a step in the wrong direction. Then again I'll go radius arms and coil springs if/when I do an SAS.

Thanks for the replies and RUF (rears up front)

I’ve wheeled my 62 for many years now on Alcan springs with of course the shackles in the front and never have had any issues. Also have wheeled my soa Sami the same way. This has been the reason why I’m asking of doing it this way. Feedback is always good I feel good or bad 😉

So does anyone have the measurements for drilling the frame by chance? I don’t really see the need to buy $40 jigs to do it just my thoughts

Thanks again

There have been guys that have done it on pirate. If you’ve wheeled your 62 with the shackle in front you already know the pros/cons.

I’ve kicked it around a couple times while I’m planning my SAS. Biggest pro I see is increased steering clearance. Cons would be shackles are rock anchors and there is less information available online. Obviously shackle up front works fine. There are tons of OEM setups that way. It just come down to your preference.

Most of these answers are wrong. The benefits outweigh the cons when off road. A few people on pirate have done this with good results. Go with a set of third gen rears with a military wrap main leaf. French the shackles in on the front high to keep the spring eyes from hitting. You might have to play with your pinion angle so it isn't in the dirt.
Pros: -Less axle wrap
-When going over obstacles the axle moves up and over instead of being pushed backwards with a normal shackle reverse.
- You won't need a long slip drive shaft with axle droop, the axle will swing back instead of forward.
- Easier to push the axle forward when doing a solid axle swap.
- Keeps the truck low, better stability
Cons:
- Ride quality ( If your on leaf springs who cares?)
- Shackle is more vulnerable to hit things.

I'd say go for it, it works and has been proven on cruisers, jeeps, and samurais.

my buddies truck
shackle up front.jpg

Actually, ALL of these answers are right. Including yours even though I thoroughly and vehemently disagree with it. It totally depends on the driver, the goals, and the use. No effing way that I'd do front shackles on anything that has to go faster than 20 mph.

Actually, ALL of these answers are right. Including yours even though I thoroughly and vehemently disagree with it. It totally depends on the driver, the goals, and the use. No effing way that I'd do front shackles on anything that has to go faster than 20 mph.

Jeep yj's, Fj-40's ? You wouldn't go faster than 20 mph in those? Can i ask the reasoning behind your opinion? The Op wants to solid axle swap his truck so for a hardcore crawler / driver i'd say a shackle up front would be the better route for trail / suspension travel performance. Just my opinion though.... 🤷‍♂️

Frankly, no I wouldn't.

I used my '84 Xcab all over the West, mostly at moderate to high speed, but some crawling too. The friend with a Sami was scary to watch trying, and failing, to keep up on anything that wasn't a crawling section. Like I just posted, the use, the driver, and the goals all vary widely. For crawling it might be OK (still wouldn't do it myself), but for anything else I want the tire to move away from the bump.

Just because it has been done that way for years doesn't mean it is the best way to do it. OEM's have a lot of other competing goals with economics of mfg ranking way, way up there on their list. If the use is only as a hard core crawler then I think messing about with leaf springs is a waste of time. Radius arms or a 3 link and coil springs aren't that much more effort and the pay-off makes it worth it.

Sorry for just getting back to my own thread but I went with rear shackle conventional setup. My pinion angle is 10* up at ride height so this seems good. The questionable thing for me now is my shackle angle is this good or too much ?
Thanks to everyone one helping out

1503FD21-2816-4763-B20A-FCD7CC1624E3.jpeg

Angle is too much. It should have been setup with a straight shackle.
Boomerang shackles are a band aid for people who didn't /dont want to move the front hanger forward.

So if I go to straight shackles will it help or should I just move my hanger forward more

The way that most use them, boomarangs are silly. The only thing that matters in a shackle is where the bolts are. The shackle metal itself can go clear around the backside of the moon to get from one bolt to the other and it won't make any difference to how the shackle behaves. Only reason to use a boomerang is if in the normal range of motion you have to go past something that can't be moved or clearanced.

@ntsqd - that’s what I was thinking it the same bolt to bolt other than clearance. I bought these thinking it would be better because of the body mount braces.

@gnob - thanks so if I move it forward 1” do you think that will be enough?

Ok thanks good info

Sorry for just getting back to my own thread but I went with rear shackle conventional setup. My pinion angle is 10* up at ride height so this seems good. The questionable thing for me now is my shackle angle is this good or too much ?
Thanks to everyone one helping out

View attachment 2266189
You definitely need to move the front hanger forward or your spring is going to hit the frame with a little flex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom