front shackles inverted backwards....what the deuce (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dohcdelsol93

snoogans
Threads
my fj40 looks to have stock springs, possibly re arched.

The shock towers are said to be fords.

The front springs appear to not be long enough as the shackles have both inverted backwards towards the axle and planted firmly against the frame. I'm not sure but i think the front/rear springs are the same legenth where as on my 60 the rears were much longer.

I need this fixed as the pogo stick feeling is pretty bad and it makes for poor pinion angle.

I'm not sure what could cause this, all rivits are in place/no welds that make it look as though any PO's have moved spring perches.

Could the PO have but springs on backwards as i'm thinking the center pin is off set to one side...if so which side of the spring should be the the long side on the front springs...forward of the axle or rear?

or could the ford perches/too long of a shock be causing the shock to bottom out, not allowing the springs to compress enough to provide the legenth to push the shackles forward of their perch.

I've never played with custom/home made shock tower mods so i'm not sure how to go about measuring for proper legenth for maximum articulation

thanks in advance:beer:

heres to no longer bouncing around town!!!

I'm not going to be much help but I do want to see the answer so "subscribed."

Got pics? Might help.

It is my understanding the spring pin is NOT centered, and the shorter side of the spring is suppose to go to the spring pin. So the longer side of the spring goes to the shackle. Post some pictures, the guru's here usually can tell you everything you need to know from some good pictures, including if the springs are stock or not.

assuming the spring and shackle perches are in a stock location you are getting more droop than the stock springs were intended to get. First , if you haven't already, get a crowbar and pull your shackles away from the frame until they pop back over center. You may need shorter shocks to limit droop or you can use an aftermarket lift spring which are usually longer. Either way your shackles are your limiting straps unless you install real limiting straps. Whatever way you go, after final assembly, you need to raise the truck to determine at which point something goes awry. Look for binding U-joints, inadequate spline engagement or inverted shackles. If any of these are a problem you select a shock that will limit droop to a safe operating condition.

i will take pics when i return home to my rig. Just imagine your shackles...all nice and pushing forward of the perch a bit....now take them and push them all the way back to the rear of the rig until they are parallel with the fram like this = . Literally both barbells are level with one another.

All perches appear to be untouched as no added welds can be seen and no rivits seem bo be touched.

I will go home and get the front end of the cruiser lifted with the front end loader and pick up/drop it to find where it needs to bottom out.

Update:

found front spring perches were turned around 180 degrees.

I put them back where they belonged.

Sat well for about a day and as the rig settled the shackles inverted forward (even without an engine/tranny/tc) resting the bottom bolt of the shackle firmly againt the frame. Instead of a nice 45 degree angle on the shackle, she's all the way forward.

Is this the reason that vendors recomend longer shackles with a lift on the 40?

I'm at a loss on what is causing my springs to want to push the shackle against the frame.

Well, I think you've answered your own question. Think about what has been changed vs. what hasn't. You stated that all the mounting points appeared untouched. You also stated that the springs MAY have been re-arched. If they were arched too much your center to center on your spring eyes would be too close. However, they would have to be WAY too close to cause a 2-7/8" shackle to come all the way back to the frame. Also, 45° is too much. I'm thinking it should be closer to 20°, less without the drivetrain in place. Measure the spring for us. Center of the bolt at the rear to center of the bolt at the front. The frame mount should be about 42-1/8" and the spring itself, with no drivetrain, should be about 42-3/8". Therefore, at the front, your shackle is SUPPOSED to be slung forward roughly 1/4" with motor and tranny removed. Take some measurements and let us know what you come up with. Or better yet, take some pictures.

My long distance provider is Black Hills Ammunition.

found the problem.

Had some extra angle iron laying around from where i made my rear t/c propeller mount brackets.

I cut of two @2.5" x 6" pieces of 1/4 steel.

Removed two of the head bolts from my blown up F.

boom...got an extended shackle.

Threw it on. Forced the spring to level out before the shackle swings forward giving me a nice 20 deg or so angle as 1bad40 mentioned.

So...fellas who do a "search" in the future for springs invert forward touching the frame on the bumper side of the perches.

If your springs have been re arched. All of your spring perches are in the stock position and you have stock shackles.

Install longer shackles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom