Front Range Offroad Fabrication aka Diamond Axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
I placed my order with Front Range Off-road Fabrication aka Diamond Axles. I will never place an order with them again for anything. I would not suggest them to any friend or associate of mine. There are plenty of fabricators out there that can build you the same product; I will definitely go with another builder the next time I do something like this.

The reasons:

I placed my order with deposit in March 2016 with quoted completion date of 6 to 8 weeks. I did not receive all the parts to complete the build until October, 5 months late after being strung along the entire time. I had to remove elements of the original build quote to even get it completed in that amount of time.

Brian lied to me about parts of the build that he said were done but when I received it were not done. They also sold me a set of used parts they said they had in stock only to tell me later the shipping of said parts was delayed because they did not have them.

They welded the spring perches 2 inches off center, I had to fix them; they claimed they did not know how they could have made that error. They did agree to refund me a small reimbursement after I sent them pictures of the stock axle compared to what they sent me. It several emails to get them even acknowledge the issue.

They told me they had welded the shock mounts on the housing but the housing they shipped me did not have them on it. I paid to have them added after I received, even though they were supposed to be included in my original build quote.

The complete WMS to WMS or width of the axle measurement was 1.5 inches longer than ordered. I had to take it as it was because sending it back, if they would accept it, would most likely have set the project back another 7 months.

They also shipped me the wrong bearing set and seals; it took them so long to get me the correct parts (October) that I just went and bought what I needed from Toyota. They blamed this on a shipping error from the vendor that supplied them the bearings but the box I received them in had a return address from FRORF.

They shipped me the incorrect studs for the housing, and again I ended up going to Toyota to get the correct parts so I could move the project along.

I paid for re-manufactured 80 series brake calipers and they substituted 4runner brake calipers without explanation. I used the 4runner calipers as cores to order the correct calipers.

Lastly, after I finally had all the parts to assemble it, I found that the Nitro axles they supplied were too long. I had to cut 1/8th of an inch off of each axle to fit them. I was able to get someone more knowledgeable than me (another mud member, Thanks!) to walk me through this and get it corrected.

I paid right around 3k for a custom housing with some used and new parts to build it not including the third member that I bought separate. For that much money I expect them to meet the quoted build time and pay attention detail, at least run a measuring tape correctly. They did not even get the off the shelf parts of build correct. They delivered very poorly. I cannot recommend them for anything.

If anyone is really considering ordering from them and on the fence even after what I have shared feel free to contact me if more info would make a difference, there is more that could be told.

Edit: As of 8.17.2017 I still have not received a refund for the work I did locally to correct the poor work they performed and the parts I returned because they were incorrect. At this point I am just going to accept it as a loss because this business is just worthless to deal with and not worth my time anymore.

Last edited:
WOW!!! I was just checking the bad seller forum that I never had to consider yet..... But boy am I glad I did!! Thanks for the heads up and it's to bad people don't just DO AS THEY SAY!!! Mans word ain't squat anymore!!!

Bump
Edit: As of 8.17.2017 I still have not received a refund for the work I did locally to correct the poor work they performed and the parts I returned because they were incorrect. At this point I am just going to accept it as a loss because this business is just worthless to deal with and not worth my time anymore.

have you considered a charge-back on your credit card? you'd be dealing with your credit card company and if necessary they'll make contact with the vendor.

My credit card company will on!y allow me to dispute a charge with in 90 days of the charge. After that they won't allow me to dispute it. I just got screwed on this deal. I feel like all I can do now is share my experience and prevent others from going through the same crap.

I read in the hardcore section that someone else had a similar experience. It was in a thread by Rustynailjustin, titled real-world experience or something like that.

I have since purchased a Ruffstuff housing and the craftsmanship on the housing is top notch.

I would tell you to spend your money with Ruffstuff or someone else .

Clarifications, and "the other side"
This build was actually the last build we did without emailed confirmation of all the specs of the build, and what you see here is exactly why. Misunderstanding/miscommunication, on both side occurred, which leaves neither party happy.
Time frame was way longer than it should have been. From our side, width was changed several times. This stops the build dead in the process, as that changes specs on everything, and we cannot build a housing, shafts or otherwise. I tried to convey that to customer, but I either wasn't clear or he didn't understand, hence miscommunication/misunderstanding.

Bearings were mis-shipped from our supplier, as stated previously, sent directly to us rather than drop shipped. We put a new label on the box and sent it right back out. We should have checked the parts prior to that.

Studs that were shipped for the diff, 7 were correct, the 2 long ones for the elock were not sent. Mistake on our end.

Calipers were ordered from our supplier, as new calipers (not reman) and we found, with this order, that they eliminated the little tin piece on the back of the caliper (unique to the 80), and changed the casting stampings a bit. 100% functional, same caliper size, piston, pads etc.

The spring perches were off. I do not recall where the width dimension came from, but it should have been suplied by the customer, as we do not have the housing he was referencing here. Did he mis measure, mis speak, or did we misunderstand? One of those happened for sure. We refunded customer $119.85 for time and materials used to relocate perches as he requested.

Shock mounts, we do not do except in a few circumstances, and ONLY if we have a stock housing here for reference. Again, misunderstanding.

Wheel studs were not ordered. Used hubs were ordered, and assumed used studs would still be in them. Misunderstanding

Our ARP Hub Studs are black, and have been since we first contracted with ARP in 2001.

The shaft length was off, 100% on us, we had not used their flange shafts in many or any builds at that time, and the calculations were apparently a little off.

I believe that addresses everything brought up.
Bottom line, yes their were mistakes/misunderstanding/miscommunication by both parties. Moving forward, this is why we have instituted a email confirmation of build specs and invoice. Any changes must be reconfirmed, and it is noted that any changes to the build specs (width, outer etc) start the process over again. This system has helped everyone! For example, we have had a few times of companies PO stating a driver drop, and when confirmed, and they read our spec sheet, realize they goofed and needed a passenger drop.

those are a lot of 'misunderstandings' for a professional fab company.experience tells me that a competent company wouldn't screw up so bad.is tank5 satisfied now is what I would like to know

The short answer is NO! I have identified another issue the product the has side lined my rig since November. I will provide an update. After I have a chance to open the axle again and confirm what is suspect. I have just been so frustrated that I don't feel like dealing with it at the moment.

Brian above said there were a bunch of misunderstandings. I strongly disagree and I am being polite.

Seems like this was waaay to complicated an operation with way too many places for a single minor mistake or miscommunication to compound the problem and get out of hand... Which it clearly did.
A full reset seems like it would have put this back on track, but that is in the past. I hope this ultimately works out to the customer's satisfaction.

I am starting to feel like I am getting fed a line of BS from these guys. If the package they said shipped last Tuesday isn't here on Monday, they are lying to me.

About six times they have said they sent me emails with a copy of the invoice and tracking info. This to two different email accounts. I have got no emails and the emails are not in my spam folders. So.......

Cheers

It is hard to get anything in writing from them. They are good for empty promises.

It’s been a year since I ordered front axle parts from them but it was painless and on my door step in less then 5 days.

Well I take back what I said above. I got my high steer kit today.

I was really feeling like I was getting the run around but all is well now.

Except these are normal high steer arms and I may need the next taller ones. I will find out this afternoon. Nice looking product though.

IMG_6557.JPG

Cheers

Well I take back what I said above. I got my high steer kit today.

I was really feeling like I was getting the run around but all is well now.

Except these are normal high steer arms and I may need the next taller ones. I will find out this afternoon. Nice looking product though.

View attachment 1695947

Cheers

I am glad your deal with them worked out better than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom