Front Passenger Side Unknown Noise - Please Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had my 2016 200 for about 2.5 years and installed a Tough Dog suspension system and SPC UCA’s about 10 months ago. I’ve noticed a “clunk” for lack of a better description on the front passenger side when the suspension cycles, especially when turning left at low speeds and hitting a bump (turning into my driveway for example). I’m honestly not positive when it started, but has definitely gotten more noticeable in the last few months. I’ve done some reading and sounds like it could be the ball joint in my right UCA, I’ve got some grease on the way hoping for an easy fix. I’m not a mechanic, but a visual inspection doesn’t show anything crazy out of place, bolts loose, etc. The vehicle rides and handles very well, performance and ride quality do not seem to be affected but the noise is driving me crazy and can’t be normal.

I had the suspension installed by a reputable shop (Iron Pig Off-road) so I don’t think it’s anything they did. They’re about 5 hours away, so it’s not convenient for me to take the cruiser back to them and I’m sure the dealership will just blame it on aftermarket parts. The video below highlights the noise when bouncing on the right slider and cycling the suspension, doing the same thing on the left slider produces no noise. Any thoughts??

Found the culprit with a little help from the wife, it’s the sway bar link moving up and down making noise - guess the bushing has gone bad or maybe was damaged during suspension install? How easy is this to replace, can I do it in my driveway? I believe this is part of the KDSS system, do I need to open the valves prior to replacing?

F58F9994-CA18-4204-BB20-333860D055E2.jpeg

If it were me I would change it in my driveway. I remember fighting a bit to hook that link back up after installing my TD lift but I only unbolted it at the swaybar, being that your changing it I would install it at the swaybar first then try slide it into the LCA. Having a jack on hand to move the LCA up and down to connect it back up. The KDSS has already adjusted to your lift so just changing the link I wouldn't bother with the loosening the valves. Just my .2 on it, good luck.

If it were me I would change it in my driveway. I remember fighting a bit to hook that link back up after installing my TD lift but I only unbolted it at the swaybar, being that your changing it I would install it at the swaybar first then try slide it into the LCA. Having a jack on hand to move the LCA up and down to connect it back up. The KDSS has already adjusted to your lift so just changing the link I wouldn't bother with the loosening the valves. Just my .2 on it, good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! Had the local dealership check it out today, new passenger side sway bar link installed is about $300. Planning to go this route to keep this simple and save some time. Looking forward to a noise-free Cruiser soon!

Update
Got the passenger side sway bar link replaced last week, total for parts and labor was $290 at the dealership. Probably could have done it myself and saved some money but had too many other things going on, wanted it done quickly and correctly! The noise in the video above has been completely eliminated and my sanity has returned, hopefully this thread is helpful for someone else in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom