Front Panhard Axle Bracket - What to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djawahir

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
battlebalm.com
So, I'm finally trying to get my project truck back on its feet again. It's been sitting for years and all I've been doing is getting older.

After looking over the front axle, I found this panhard bracket tab broken off and rewelded to the axle. The bolt hole isn't even lined up properly!
Anyhow, is this an easy fix for a driveline shop to repair?
Do I need a new axle housing?
Is there an aftermarket bracket that I can just weld on?

I just rebuilt the knuckles, too! Any help and insight would be appreciated. I don't think this weld job looks great...but I'm no expert!
(I don't know how or when it happened. It's been sitting a long time and my memory's fading like the paint on this truck.)

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

Short answer: no, you don't need a new axle.

Long answer: this connection sees a lot of stress. The weld needs to be solid, but anyone who can weld can do it. The bolt holes absolutely need to line up. If you're removing the bracket, the welder can take care of it. If you're not, the holes can be bored out and sleeved, if the misalignment is really bad. Using a correct axle as a guide will help to get the bracket back in shape.

Not the end of the world, but it won't be cheap.

No, wouldnt be cheaper than a Diamond.... but if youre looking for an excuse.... Its definitely fixable, any welder/fab shop should be able to fix that pretty easily for you if you cant do it yourself.

Does the panhard bar fit? The welds don't look great but don't look all that bad.
Did you actually try to put a bolt in? The washer marks indicate that a bolt has be in there.
In the pictures the holes look like they could line up.
Like mentioned before that's a high stress point if you can get bolt in there it should hold tell you can get a fabricator to beef it up for you.

So my fab guy hasn't quite finished, but this is the mockup. Are there any things I need to verify before welding?
angle of mounting bolt in relation to knuckles, pinion, frame end of panhard? We're pretty close. I think we need to move the mount up slightly so that the bar end doesn't touch the bracket. It does slightly in this position. Anything else? Will we be able to weld the gap onto the axle? Thanks for your help, all!

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

So my fab guy hasn't quite finished, but this is the mockup. Are there any things I need to verify before welding?
angle of mounting bolt in relation to knuckles, pinion, frame end of panhard? We're pretty close. I think we need to move the mount up slightly so that the bar end doesn't touch the bracket. It does slightly in this position. Anything else? Will we be able to weld the gap onto the axle? Thanks for your help, all!

View attachment 3332052

View attachment 3332053

View attachment 3332054

View attachment 3332055

View attachment 3332056
I would test fit a bushing in there to make sure that spacing is right.

The bolt hole looks to big to me, bolt should fit tight.

Probably used standard drill bit not metric
Yeah, looks like a punched hole form a Piranha ironworker. Most likely a standard size hole and he oversized so it would fit and didn't worry about precision.

Not trying to be a dick but the OP asked.
The welds I see don't look much better then the one's that were done before, the return to the axle housing I would want to be a little closer and and I would like to see it all cleaner for better weld. And I consider my self a sh*ty welder but that's what I see 🤷‍♂️
As far as relationship to knuckles pinion or frame that's not critical as all that changes with a lift or sagging springs and can be corrected with a adjustable panhard if needed.

Could have been done better or worse. You could always put a metric washer on the bolt and tack it to correct the hole size. NOT the correct way to fix, but will tighten up the side to side stress on the weld nut. It wouldnt hurt to throw a drag link on it and cycle lock to lock before finish welding it. Mine is a stock bracket, but I know my 1 1/2" tube gets close to the head of the track bar bolt. Your pinion angle is only effected by the bushings or a drop bracket of some sort. It wont effect your tie rod to pinion at all.

Now is your time to 3 link it and move it where you want it!! :beer: :D

The bolt hole looks to big to me, bolt should fit tight.
I checked and the hole is a little big, for sure. I'll note it as a concern.
Not trying to be a dick but the OP asked.
The welds I see don't look much better then the one's that were done before, the return to the axle housing I would want to be a little closer and and I would like to see it all cleaner for better weld. And I consider my self a sh*ty welder but that's what I see 🤷‍♂️
As far as relationship to knuckles pinion or frame that's not critical as all that changes with a lift or sagging springs and can be corrected with a adjustable panhard if needed.
I can take all the help I can get here! I will note that part about the return to the axle housing! The welding isn't done yet. The bracket was just tacked for the placement check! I'll be getting an adjustable panhard, so it should fix a little rotational misalignment.
Could have been done better or worse. You could always put a metric washer on the bolt and tack it to correct the hole size. NOT the correct way to fix, but will tighten up the side to side stress on the weld nut. It wouldnt hurt to throw a drag link on it and cycle lock to lock before finish welding it. Mine is a stock bracket, but I know my 1 1/2" tube gets close to the head of the track bar bolt. Your pinion angle is only effected by the bushings or a drop bracket of some sort. It wont effect your tie rod to pinion at all.

Now is your time to 3 link it and move it where you want it!! :beer: :D
Thanks cruzinfj1! I would 3 link it, but money is disappearing fast on this project! Don't send me and my wallet down another rabbit hole!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom