Front Inner Axle Seal Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy All,

Last time I changed a broken Birfield (a supposedly super stout CV Unlimited version :-\, I noticed my axle seal was ripped, probably from the in and out of my axle shaft when changing birfs. Differential oil was leaking into my 'knuckle compartment'...where the fat end of the birfield sits. Is this a big deal or can I get by for awhile? I am loath to tear into the thing, again, but it looks like a new seal would be a realatively easy install...is that true?
Also, there were some metal shavings where the birfs have been rubbing the knuckle housing :doh:. Can you replace a knuckle if the wear gets to bad or is it new front axle time? Is that a torch and grinding nightmare or is there an easy way? Any advice appreciated,

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

my knuckles are ground like you would not believe...never changed them, don't care to. IMO, no biggie. Also, it's actualy the fishmouth opening of the end of the axle that's being rubbed, not the removable knuckle itself....for the effort to replace, replace the entire housing. No, I'm not gonna do that either...

The inner seal should be replaced, figger 60 minutes if you have any cleanup work to do on the seating surface. The mixed gear lube and birf grease reduces the cushioning properties of the birf grease - a bad thing.

Course, break it every trip and you won't care, since you'll clean that all the time anyways...hehehe

I carry 2-3 extra inner seals for just such problems...

Sweet...I'm glad to hear the inner knuckles can take some Birf wear with no worries. Appreciate that advice :)

Replace it. You can pull the outer bearings and spindle then bierf. If you are careful you can pull and replace the seal with the knuckle assy in place.

Thanks Guys,

I'm having a little trouble with my local parts stores locating the right seal. When I looked last time I changed a birf., it was a real simple half dollar size rubber gasket that was ripped. Anybody got recommendations on ordering a front inner axle seal...pic's would be great so I can see if the part is what I think it is....

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

P/N for inner axle seal = Chicago Rawhide #12810 (NAPA)

from the "cruiser facts" link

Thanks Woody...gotta get that seal in before Turkey Day as the relatives are coming and I can't wait to get the boys stuck in the snow up in the Southern Colorado mountains :p

:cheers:

Scott

[quote author=sdgraber link=board=1;threadid=7811;start=msg66125#msg66125 date=1069428358]...I'm having a little trouble with my local parts stores locating the right seal. ...[/quote]

Hmmm... I might know someone that could ship them today... :D

Free shipping on gaskets/seals.... ;)

[/endpimp]

Sounds good...what will two front inner axle seals for a 78 FJ-40 and two of those funky 'Star Washers' that hold the large nuts on cost me...maybe I'll just give ya a buzz?

Scott

check the website...prices are listed....and IMO, get spare inner seals...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom