Front hub swap (FJ60 to FJ40) and disk brake conversion then PS & AC... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ErikinSC

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
SILVER Star
Threads
Alright - I'm actively looking for a FJ60 front axle (right?).... I need a 3.70 front diff, Glen @lextechautomotive already replaced the 4.11 rear - so there is no turning back. I'm looking to swap swap the entire axle so I can add front disks while I'm at it... then I'll move onto a PS setup. Saginaw? OEM?

I have a Toyota PS pump... Gotta figure out if it will work.

my 74 has a later model 2F with two open pulleys (or 1 is a harmonic balancer?). Then, I want to add AC over the winter.... why not.

I guess somewhere in there I'm going to swap out the entire suspension as well.... I'm currently leaning 1.5" low to the drivers side sitting on the shop floor. Looking at OME or HFS - undecided as of yet... minor lift, nothing too crazy.

I still need to be able to put her in the garage every now and again while I'm wrenching at the house. Luckily, I have a full shop at work where I can do major work, but no lifts .... yet.

So, anyone inclined to point me in the right directions, share advice, show me what you've done to your own cruiser - or sit and :beer: while I :wrench:..... this is my adventure. All are welcome; help, heckle or hand me a wrench.

PS pump12.JPG

PS pump1.JPG

Last edited:
Did you post on the ONSC or UC site? I'm sure some of the guys up there could provide an axle that would do the job! Plus, they have a bunch of 40's in their club and plenty of experience. Also, you could post up in Georgia Cruisers for the same reason if nobody up north has an axle.

I'm down for :beer: and :wrench: when you get your stuff in. It's time for me to start scheduling the shipment of my FJ40 - should be here in a month and I wouldn't mind working on it with some club members. HAMOM's!!!

I have most of a 60 axle at my house, I have to get one more part off of it, and you can have the rest.. I think most of what you need can be swapped or is there....You do know that a 60 axle is wider than a 40, right. Its not a bolt in unless you want to use your housing and swap everything. this would work for that, I think., Just PM me and we can set something up.

OK - The 40 axle I wanted in NWGa sold, but NCFJ (Stan at HFS in Chessne, SC just up I26) has a complete 60 axle. Thanks @dbenke, but I saw your post too late.

I'm going to make arrangements to get the 60 axle, inspect - then prepare for the conversion. I've got some reading to do. I'm expecting to have to rebuild the hubs & probably replace the rotors & maybe even calipers - who knows. Once I get it - the breakdown and hubs could be a HAMOM - yes?

Made the road trip to see @NCFJ at Hardline Fabrication Services in Chesnee, SC. Got a complete '86 FJ60 axle with Aisin hubs, rebuilt knuckles & pretty nice looking rotors... and got to meet some great Cruiserheads & Max.

Sorry, I can t add photo...Ughh

Last edited:
Also got my Billsteins ordered (backordered locally, they were not easy to find). Also ordered my OME 2.5" springs, bushings, shackles & spring pins package ordered from Kurt @cruiseroutfit - not quite a kit since I went with my own shocks and ubolts....

Oh yeah, I also have the U-bolt reversal kit coming from Dave @lcwizard - along with one of his rear tire carrier with cooler rack - gonna need to carry some extra beer to soften & settle these springs in ! Looking like Christmas in October for me!

Dude, have you started a build thread yet??? I wanna see lots of pictures! Actually, I want to work on it with you...

Haha. No I haven't done anything like that. I guess I could. Maybe I can google HOW TO WRITE A BUILD THREAD. I have been taking pics at various points.... I guess I could organize them into some sort of order.

Maybe there is a FAQ on this. LOL, I'm a lil bit techy; but not so experienced. Maybe my 12 yr old son can help me with that !

So Erik, are you planning on using the whole 60 front end, housing and all? If so you'll run into a couple issues. A 60 disc front end is about 2 3/4 wider than a 40 disc front end. Although the housings on a 40 drum and disc are the same, the spindles and hubs are 3/4" taller the drum counterparts so the disc axle is about 1 1/2" wider than the drum axle so from a 40 drum to a 60 disc is a little aver 4". The 40 drum rear was already narrower than the front so you may end up with about 5" difference front to rear. A 60 rear would close that gap by 2 3/4".
The other issue is when Toyota added the 2 3/4" length to the front 60 axle, they added it all to the long side. The short side axle in the 40 and 60 are interchangeable the 60 long side is 2 3/4 longer. To center the axle relative to the frame the housing will need to be shifted 1 3/8" to the passenger side.
To do that it gets a little messy because your spring perch has to climb up the diff housing as it moves inward. Looking at it , you'll see the issues.
Unless you were planning on wider axles for side hill or lateral stability the easiest thing to do is transfer the guts and knuckles from the 60 housing to your 40 housing. It all swaps over. While you're at it use the 60 rod ends. You'll need custom rods but the ends are much beefier. Same as 80 threads and tapers.
If you wanted a wider set of axles I make a sleeve that welds in the short side that extends to short side out 2 3/4" to match the extension of the long side 60 housing. This lets you use the factory 60 perch at the diff with the housing centered under the 40. You end up with a front end that more closely matches an FJ80 rear. This is more typically done on trucks that want to run 37" tires or bigger. The 40 housing is too narrow to run over a 35" tire and still get a full turning radius . ( big tires hit the leaf springs at full lock)

Thanks for all of the detailed info, Dave.

I'm actually doing the more simple knuckle/hub/disk swap & using the 3rd member to match my updated rear. It was easier to get all parts together on the single axle. I have a really good tech @lextechautomotive that will be assisting with the job. OK- they'll likely DO the technical & harder work - final assembly - to make sure it all right.

I've got another couple of mechs that'll help me get it all disassembled & swapped over, along with install the new springs & shocks. Hopefully some of our local LC club guys will be able to assist me - or :beer: and :wrench: with me. Once I have a safe 'rolling chassis' again, I'll get @lextechautomotive to tie it in and make sure it's all right. That's the current plan.

Then there is the PS upgrade and AC unguarded for my :zilla:.....

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414193261.322462.jpg

This is the axle from Stan @ HFS. Started the disassembly today, got OEM seal kit coming tomorrow. Next will be to disassemble the 40 hubs, and start the hub & diff swap..... yeah for HAMOM!

Started disassembly yesterday...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414242331.486917.jpg

Split cone shaped washers were a bit challenging.

Last edited:
Cone washers are always a bitch,,,put a little grease on them on assembly, next time {??} wont be as bad.

Good dead blow or brass hammer works every time for me

We used a ball peen to loosen and a small punch to 'chase' the washer back out of the threads.

But here is a question: how to remove the assy from the knuckle?

This :
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414275398.900916.jpg

From here:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414275444.668131.jpg

The knuckle assy from the axle ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom