Front hub swap (FJ60 to FJ40) and disk brake conversion then PS & AC... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow! That's a lot of info. I'll read it more tonight.

Got the 'new to me' '86-60 3.70 front diff opened and inspected.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414435412.270826.jpg

Next to remove my 4.11....

You ever going to let us come over and work on that thing with you?

I started on Friday (instead of working- don't tell my boss, LOL) and continued Saturday and Sunday while 'some people were wheeling in NC....'

I might make it a habit of making half-day work days on Fridays and wrenching on Saturdays or Sundays so long as I'm not traveling for college football games

That sounds like an awesome habit. I normally get off around 2PM on Fridays and the wife works late :hmm:

60 knuckles are 90% broke down. Got the seals in hand for the rebuild. I actuallly stopped at @lextechautomotive today and talked to Glen. Saw someone's LC sitting and waiting.... Plan is to drop off my rig on the 20th for Glen to do the Aisin hub & disk brakes swap and install - it'll need the TREs converted to cnnect to the 40's steering components. Otherwise, we'd probably have started on it at my shop. Glen is also going to do the PS install while he has it as well.

Good stuff! Man, I would have never guessed how difficult these things were to steer without PS... Just to be sure, you're keeping the 40 axle, right? Not going wider? Did you get the hard top back on?

Yes, no, not yet. Headliner install this week, flipping the whole top, install and then we'll flip and reinstall. Next week - headed to Glen's.

Hey @ErikinSC - how did this end up? Just found this info and am about to do the same. Did you run stock 1974 rear brakes? Cheers mate.

Hey @ErikinSC - how did this end up? Just found this info and am about to do the same. Did you run stock 1974 rear brakes? Cheers mate.

AFAIK, the rears are stock drums, I assum '74, as they were in place when I bought the truck. The fonts were converted to @ 1984 FJ60 discus, as I recall. The only problem I encounter is a light tire rub on full turn. Otherwise, it'll stop on a dime and leave $.09 change. It required some hand reaming to open up the TREs.... but otherwise, truck stops wonderfully.

AFAIK, the rears are stock drums, I assum '74, as they were in place when I bought the truck. The fonts were converted to @ 1984 FJ60 discus, as I recall. The only problem I encounter is a light tire rub on full turn. Otherwise, it'll stop on a dime and leave $.09 change. It required some hand reaming to open up the TREs.... but otherwise, truck stops wonderfully.
Thanks mate, that's really great news. I'll be doing this now for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom