Front End Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this will sound weird but have you replaced your front or rear driveshaft U joints? If your U joints have not been replaced they will make that exact sound when they start to go out. When the truck is jacked up for maintenance it can add stress on worn U-joints and cause them to fail unexpectedly.

I had this exact same sound after I replaced my shocks a few years ago and went down a rabbit hole trying to fix it. The sound would resonate from what I thought was my front axle on the right passenger side. I replaced and repacked my front bearings again, replaced my spindle bushings, greased my U-joints, replaced the front driveshaft with a double cardan driveshaft. After all of this on separate fixes, the sound remained. I feared the worst that my front pinion bearing was shot which would require an axle teardown. I scoured every dead mud thread I could find on this issue and there are multiple reports of this noise with no definitive fix. Some commenters would say to change your rear U-joints but I figured there was no way a rear driveshaft U-joint could cause my front axle to make a buzzing noise at certain speeds and RPMs. I pulled the driveshafts separately and drove with the CDL locked. The noise remained with the front driveshaft pulled but was noticeably different and quieter. With the rear driveshaft pulled the noise was gone. I then had the rear driveshaft rebalanced with new U-joints which ultimately fixed the issue.

The cheapest way to fix this is to pull your driveshafts yourself and take them with new Toyota U-joints to a driveshaft shop to have the U-joints replaced and the driveshafts rebalanced. Make sure the phasing is noted when the driveshafts are rebalanced.

Last edited:
I know this will sound weird but have you replaced your front or rear driveshaft U joints? If your U joints have not been replaced they will make that exact sound when they start to go out. When the truck is jacked up for maintenance it can add stress on worn U-joints and cause them to fail unexpectedly.

I had this exact same sound after I replaced my shocks a few years ago and went down a rabbit hole trying to fix it. The sound would resonate from what I thought was my front axle on the right passenger side. I replaced and repacked my front bearings again, replaced my spindle bushings, greased my U-joints, replaced the front driveshaft with a double cardan driveshaft. After all of this on separate fixes, the sound remained. I feared the worst that my front pinion bearing was shot which would require an axle teardown. I scoured every dead mud thread I could find on this issue and there are multiple reports of this noise with no definitive fix. Some commenters would say to change your rear U-joints but I figured there was no way a rear driveshaft U-joint could cause my front axle to make a buzzing noise at certain speeds and RPMs. I pulled the driveshafts separately and drove with the CDL locked. The noise remained with the front driveshaft pulled but was noticeably different and quieter. With the rear driveshaft pulled the noise was gone. I then had the rear driveshaft rebalanced with new U-joints which ultimately fixed the issue.

The cheapest way to fix this is to pull your driveshafts yourself and take them with new Toyota U-joints to a driveshaft shop to have the U-joints replaced and the driveshafts rebalanced. Make sure the phasing is noted when the driveshafts are rebalanced.
I need to double check, but I’m pretty sure I have less than 10,000 miles on both shafts. You’re right, however, in that I was quite surprised at what noises and vibrations u-joints can cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom