Front coilover comparisons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently run these ICON fronts on my rig.

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-80-icon-08-up-land-cruiser-front-coil-over-shock-kit.aspx

Functionality-wise, they drive great paired with the 722/61029 OME rears. However, I'm noticing that the top bearing moves around or pivots which may be contributing to a noise when going over certain bumps. I know it's pivoting as I had the shop center it, but after a drive back home, the driver side shock is no longer centered. I'm talking to ICON to see whether this is normal design or if it's an install fail. I suspect the former. Maybe they wanted to distribute the cost by making these front units more universal to work with other models in the Toyota line-up? Don't know for sure and don't care to dig at this time. End of day, the thing moves around.

I may or may not start from a clean slate and go with the Radflo kit. The 2.5" piston version is $240 less than the ICON from Metaltech 4x4. How does one justify the added cost to go with the ICONs? They have very little info available whereas Radflo's got specs listed on their site (good job, Glenn).

Thoughts? Thanks.

Icon and Radflo are similar. Not sure what you mean by 'pivot', but if I guess, your Icons are fine. I believe the 'pivoting' you talk about is there for fine tune adjustment of the coil over in the shock mount.

Thoughts:
You have dramatically changed the rig from stock...there will always be tweaks and noises, there will also be problems and issues, from now until you sell it. Some of the symptoms may be able to be fixed, but probably temporarily, and more probable, will come back. This was a highly over engineered truck, with thousands of man hours put forth on the initial build, by super experienced techs. It is damn near impossible to change what they have done with a few installs and think that you made it better. Putting race parts on (which themselves need more attention during install and more maintenance during use) is just going to 'mess' things up (for a lack of better words). Everyone is trying to achieve different goals and capabilities with their modifications, some want bigger tires, others want more clearance, some like the looks...to each his/her own, but what they all have in common is that it is not Toyota engineered, and will 'play' a little differently on your truck.

Getting to my thought...find yourself an experienced tech, better yet, an experienced tech that is also a gear head, even better, an experienced tech that's also a gear head and that's also into lifted trucks. Do not spend anymore on aftermarket parts, they will only temporarily fix your solution. Spend your money and time on understanding what you have, how it works and what impacts changes will make.

I've had a bunch of vehicles, new and used. When you get them, they are GREAT! But that goes away with the first scratch or noise, then they are a pain and you want that great feeling again...it's a drug. What I been trying to do is view them as machines, machines that get me from A to B and back, as long as I am safe. Yeah I still go to SEMA and drool, sure I cruise around the auto malls and go for test drives, yep I'm on forums and chatting, of course I'm checking auto sites for up and coming vehicles and most definitely I try and do as much maintenance on mine and give it the utmost TLC, but heck, it's just a vehicle, it's convenience.

To steal someone else's thought:

Roll up the windows, crank the music and drive!

The orientation of the coilover isn't going to create a clunking sound. The suspension moves up in down in a linear movement so it isn't going to twist the coilover side to side. I would check the nitrogren pressure, the bearings, sway bars, and any other parts that move with the suspension to make sure everything is functioning properly.

It's not a clunk sound. It's more of a pssht/click type noise from front on compression.

Here's what I'm talking about.

My tech rotated it so the silver parts are even side to side. You drive it and the thing moves to one side where it stays as depicted above.

Chim: I completely get your sage advice, but if others like you are running an OEM quiet setup and if the vendor states that it shouldn't make any noise (ICON/ARB/installers), then that's what I'm going to aim for until I've exhausted all my options. Admittedly, I've only lowered a number of 911s, an M3, ISF, S2000 so I'm not as familiar with lifted setups barring the 2003 t4r I had with the Toytec ultimate lift kit which was factory quiet. The LC, thus far, has been the trickiest of the lot given that there's little to no experienced help in the Seattle area. As I've stated before and as you allude to, this is the biggest challenge. Finding good help.

Glenn @ Radflo explained to me that their front sthock up top has a rubber bushing to eliminate metal on metal contact. The ICONs do not have this feature. They advise that I find a shop that can detect the noise, but do you realize how hard it is to track down noise when you don't even know what noise to look out for? How do you know for certain it's not the top bearing making the noise if you're not here to check it out while at the same time telling me you can't determine the noise without having the truck/part on-site?

You'd be amazed at how much conflicting, overlapping information I've had to churn through. Ultimately, no one's really held accountable - just my wallet.

Part of the game/fun, right? :D

I appreciate everyone's input. I love reading them.

Last edited:
Just googled 'Seattle 4x4 shop'...came up with 7 shops within the Everett and Tacoma area, on either side of the sound (one being ARB - not sure if that was a shop or not though).

I would give any one of em a call. Tell them your rig and install. See who's interested. I'm sure one of them would be able to help. If you were in the Toronto area, I'd take your cash and continued business for sure...customers like you are good to get!

chim, I'm vendor'ed out. Finding people to take my money isn't the challenge, right? It's finding good, reliable, credible, professional help that's the needle in haystack for my 200.

I'll keep this thread updated as the story unfolds. More to come. I'll stick to the facts so y'all can judge for yourselves.

It's not a clunk sound. It's more of a pssht/click type noise from front on compression.

Our Icon coilovers are twisted to one side on our FJC and have zero noises because of it. Based on the sound you're describing it sounds like lack of nitrogen pressure, I would get that checked. It takes a special needle to check the pressure but any snowmobile/atv/motorcycle shop will be able to do that.

I believe it is a spherical bearing but for certain it does move to one side and looks like it stays there

I am in conversation with icon to find a possible remedy for the noise. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom