Front Brake Pads, Rotors and Calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Hope all is well.

Just had an indy replace the front brake pads, rotors and calipers on a 2004 LX 470 with nearly 200k miles.

Not sure of the brand of the parts, but total cost was $1,000.

I trust the indy to have used reputable, quality parts.

Was this a good price? Or should've been more or less?

Thank you very much and have a good Sunday!

Last edited:
Note I had both calipers replaced because one was seized / stuck and chewed down the pad / rotor.

So I did whole job to ensure even braking / no pulling to either side upon braking, etc.

Other caliper was likely to go soon too I suppose. :|

Do our OEM calipers go bad in time / miles anyway?

Never had to replace on any other vehicle ever before.

Last edited:
Usually these guys have a supplier they call and give them the year, make and model of the car and the supplier will reccomend the parts. They're supposed to be OEM parts but not always. I can't speak to the shop you used but I would call and get the details on the parts they used then you can look online for what those parts cost and then factor in labor cost and that should tell you if you got your money's worth. Keep in mind these shops take margin on the parts they source but $1000 doesn't sound too unreasonable given that it can be a pain getting the flange and rotors off. Hopefully, you had a good, honest shop that used quality parts and didn't overstate labor. I did this job myself last year and it wasn't too bad but it can be time consuming depending on how thurough want to be.

Should have asked before doing the job. OEM ROTOR EACH is about $80, pads front and rear both about 150, calipers probably rebuilt and nothing wrong rebuilding the Toyota calipers. Now to it's longetivity: those last for the life of a Toyota. I have a 90 hilux diesel and it still got OEM calipers and seals, same for the 92 corolla. My 97 4runner needed a caliper rebuilt due to a frozen piston. Super easy to install seals in a caliper.

Thanks so very much for everyone's replies; I truly appreciate it.

Prices are set by the laws of supply and demand. You paid a price. Why ask the internet if it was good ex post?

I'd like to know whether or not it was fair, so I know for the future with this particular indy.

Usually these guys have a supplier they call and give them the year, make and model of the car and the supplier will reccomend the parts. They're supposed to be OEM parts but not always. I can't speak to the shop you used but I would call and get the details on the parts they used then you can look online for what those parts cost and then factor in labor cost and that should tell you if you got your money's worth. Keep in mind these shops take margin on the parts they source but $1000 doesn't sound too unreasonable given that it can be a pain getting the flange and rotors off. Hopefully, you had a good, honest shop that used quality parts and didn't overstate labor. I did this job myself last year and it wasn't too bad but it can be time consuming depending on how thurough want to be.

Thank you for providing insight w/r/t pricing.

Yes, I do feel it's a good, honest shop.

As for the parts, I believe you're correct as to the shop's procedure in obtaining same.

That said, if not mistaken, I believe the shop stated the calipers are rebuilt OEM ones.

Should have asked before doing the job. OEM ROTOR EACH is about $80, pads front and rear both about 150, calipers probably rebuilt and nothing wrong rebuilding the Toyota calipers. Now to it's longetivity: those last for the life of a Toyota. I have a 90 hilux diesel and it still got OEM calipers and seals, same for the 92 corolla. My 97 4runner needed a caliper rebuilt due to a frozen piston. Super easy to install seals in a caliper.

Thanks for all this pricing info.

I was in a pinch and needed truck back ASAP.

Dropped it off Friday night (problem started Friday) and got it back Saturday 11 AM.

Do you know why they replaced the calipers?

Just that they were seized / stuck and ate the pad and rotor.

yes. its fair.

I do appreciate your directly responsive insight; thanks so very much. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom