Front Brake Hoses after conversion kit install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a JT outfitters front disc brake conversion kit on my 74' FJ40 with stainless steel braided brake hoses in 2021. Unfortunately, the hoses split over the weekend. Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement hoses? I'm a bit nervous to go back to JT as they didn't last very long. Is there a general hose that would be available at a local supply store? Or do I have to order through a specialty store? Thanks.

Several of the supporting vendors here on 'Mud sell replacement brake lines. Most cities have a shop that will make brake lines for you while you wait.

Just to be clear, I'm looking for the hoses, not the lines.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 12.27.20 PM.png

It turns out my hoses are not long enough which was causing the split where the hose meets the hardware. JTO is sending out a new extended line.

Resized_Resized_20230703_134507.jpeg

Just to be clear, I'm looking for the hoses, not the lines.
Yes, i figured. Sometimes "lines" is used for either the hard lines or the soft lines. I had mine made at a little speed shop that carried Earl's hoses and fittings. Just take your old hose in and tell them what you need. Might take 30 minutes and be cheaper than through the mail.
But JT is replacing yours? For free i hope.
I'm sorry, i do not have a high opinion of JTO.
Also, and i apologize again, someone needs to slap your wrist for not noticing that before you drove it.

20230703_120412.jpg

Yeah…. that should have been pretty obvious. I’m thinking about doing the disc conversion on my 71 FJ40. Does anyone have any opinions on the JT Outfitters kit? Is there another option?

I'd recommend adapting Toyota stk frt brakes.

Fj40, fj55,fj60,mini truck. Disc brakes started in 1976. 1979 disc brakes were upgraded slightly. Go to the FAQs section, scroll down the frontends and read away. Then scroll to the top of the FAQs page check out tech links. Use the search here or use the internet and click on threads that ref this site. The JT kit is bolt on aftermarket and uses your stk coarse spline birf. Stk disc brakes are a better setup but you will get your hands dirty, everything you do is part of servicing the frt end. In FAQS you need to learn about knuckle differences and birfields. Folks around here can walk you thru it. Search for knuckle rebuild too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom