front axle help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
rebuilding front hubs and my manual isn't clear about whether to put grease or gear lube in the hubs. i have the cv type. thanks

I've just rebuilt my front axle, and the hubs take grease. There is a seal between the hub and the inner axle which is supposed to stop the gear oil from the diff entering the hub. There are 2 components that need grease, the first is the CV housing, the second is the wheel bearings on the outer section.

hhhmm....IIRC, lockout hubs don't take EITHER....gear lube is spearate from the knuckle area by an inner seal and the wheel-bearing moly grease for the bearings and birfields and trunions is "mostly" separate from the hub area via the spindle.

IIRC, grease on lockouts = too stiff to operate, especially if cold.

*Gulp*...I disagree Woody, I've always put a *light* coat of grease on lockouts. I think where you run into trouble with them freezing is when you have bad gaskets that let moisture in, or you put too much grease in, in a super cold climate and it gets real stiff...Just my devalued Missouri .02:)

gaskets? lol

maybe that explains my frozen lockout on my last winter ride...nothin like takin one apart in +10 degree weather, chippin out the ice chunks, and gettin it to work! lol

LIGHT grease I'll go along with....very light, like spray-on lithium grease maybe???

I always use the same wheel bearing grease I just did the bearings and birfs with...lockout gaskets? Yeah, use 'em, get 'em at the dealer:) Knuckle kits usually come with them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom