Front axle - grooved thrust washer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my very first axle job so this could be a not that smart question. My outer bearing's thrust washer is grooved - see a picture below. Should I reinstall the washer same way as it was or maybe turn it 180 degrees so that the not grooved side faces the bearing? What are the dangers associated with reusing this grooved washer? Getting a new original washer is not an option now. If it is necessary to install a new one I would need to make one.

Thank you in advance for help.
gw.jpg

Howdy! The groove is a sign that the preload on the nut was not tight enough to keep the inner race from spining on the spindle. I have seen this on my rig, but not quite as bad. I would just turn the thrust washer over and re-use it. Make sure you tighten the nut to spec, and maybe check it every 5000 - 10,000 miles. It should work just fine. Mine does. John

They pretty much all get like that. Look at your spindle carefully and make sure the rotating bearing has not damaged the spindle.

I would get a new thrust washer. For a buck or two, you can make it like new.

The washer and spindle should last the life of the truck, they get that wear from running insufficient preload for the application. It's acceptable to install it the way it came out, as long as the groove isn't deep enough that the bearing cage touches/rubs the washer. If you need to flip it, sand any burrs flat, so you can get a good adjustment. Using the grooved washer will not as strong of a setup as a new one and would plan to replace it when one is available.

...The groove is a sign that the preload on the nut was not tight enough to keep the inner race from spining on the spindle...

Whoever was there before me did not do good job. Outer adjusting nut has a big ding from using a screwdriver on it instead of 54mm socket and inner adjusting nut was completely loose.

I will reinstall the washer as you suggest. Getting a new one now is a problem not because of money but location. Getting parts to where I am now is a time consuming logistic endeavor.

Thank you a lot for instant advise!

Whoever was there before me did not do good job. Outer adjusting nut has a big ding from using a screwdriver on it instead of 54mm socket and inner adjusting nut was completely loose.

I will reinstall the washer as you suggest. Getting a new one now is a problem not because of money but location. Getting parts to where I am now is a time consuming logistic endeavor.

Thank you a lot for instant advise!

yeah, its not an easy task to set correct pre-load using the "screwdriver and bfh" method. :rolleyes: Stupid former owners.

By the way, this forum is awesome as always.
:beer:

That groove is indicitive of a loose preload and I do not like the appearance of the washer. I would also be concerned about the condition of the spindle and I bet there is a ridge from the spinning bearing race.

IF I HAD to reuse that washer I would resurface the grooved face as best as I could and I would install the washer with the opposite side facing the NEW outer wheel bearing.

In a perfect situation you would replace the washer (90214-42030) along with the outer wheel bearing and carefully examine the spinde for unacceptable wear/damage.

D-

What Dan said regarding sanding down any burrs, as a burr would be problematic tightening against the lock nut. Check the bottom of the spindle where the wheel bearing runs and see if there's more than a faint groove. The bottom surface of the spindle will show a wear mark first if things are too loose.

DougM

More than likely the spindle is worn to the point that even if you get proper preload on the Bearings the outer bearing race will spin. The spindle needs to help with this(by having proper diameter), so if it is worn you will not have the bearing adjustment last as long as you would like. Most of us out here in a Mud land have worn spindles. I personally need 2 new spindles to help the bearing race stay in spot(need to find the money balance). I have staked(using a pin punch to raise some metal to hold the race) the spindles to help this and over the years it is not enough. Also the washer is a soft metal, I personally think that if this material was hardened it would last longer. I looked into this several years ago, but the cost was too high(like $12-15 for each washer). Just my thoughts. later Robbie

The thrust washer is a pretty common Toyota piece used in many models so any local Toyota parts source should have at least a few in stock; otherwise a trip to the wrecker might be in order.

Guys, I am very impressed with your experience, knowledge and will to share it. Thank you a lot for your help.

Going back to the spindle. I checked it and surprisingly there is no significant groove on it. The top side is not grooved at all and the bottom has a hair thin groove. Looks like I will live. :)

Now I am back to cleaning all the parts from rust and grease. So far this is the most time consuming part of my front axle job.

Thanx again for help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom