Front Axle Grease Seeping Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having an issue with grease leaking out between dust shield and steering knuckle.

Backstory: Rebuild front diffs about 600 miles/8 weeks ago, replacing all bearings (wheel and trunnion), all seals (axle and hub), replaced, and all gaskets that come in the front axle service kit. I used new gear lube, STP Moly grease for birfs and valvoline palladium grease for wheel bearings.

The leak is present on the bottom of the steering arm and it seems the moly grease is either a) leaking from in between the dust shield and knuckle or b) the bottom of the steering knuckle arm (see attached schematic, red arrows). It almost seems like it's being pushed out under pressure. When I looked and wiped it away, it has that squeezed out look, if that makes sense? I haven't taken it apart yet, but will most likely do that this weekend. It's not birf soup as it's grease only and it's not coming from the actual joint seal (steel, felt and rubber washer area) those look properly greased.

Has anyone experienced this? I am going to order a new gasket for between the spindle and knuckle. I will check my torque spec of the steering arm (71-77lb-ft IIRC?)

Thanks in Advance!
Axle.jpg
Exploded axle.jpg

Is your axel breather clear?

I probably need to check that. They are old, original and I would presume clogged. I'll check that this afternoon and report back! It also makes some sense..

Thanks!

Close picture of the leak?

Yep, clear the breather, although usually I think that has more to do with gear oil pushing past the axle seal. When I did my knuckles recently, I took out the nipple & cleaned it, cleaned hole in axle, confirmed hose & vent were clear. Good time to replace and extend the hose & vent, toss the stock frame-mounted breather box thingy, and check the rear too while you’re at it.

Also possible to pack the knuckle too full, in which case it can push its way out of somewhere when it heats & expands. If you didn’t overpack it, probably fine, but may as well check the grease level too.

Last edited:
Close pictur of the leak?

Yep, clear the breather, although usually I think that has more to do with gear oil pushing past the axle seal. When I did my knuckles recently, I took out the nipple & cleaned it, cleaned hole in axle, confirmed hose & vent were clear. Good time to replace and extend the hose & vent, toss the stock frame-mounted breather box thingy, and check the rear too while you’re at it.

Also possible to pack the knuckle too full, in which case it can push its way out of somewhere when it heats & expands. If you didn’t overpack it, probably fine, but may as well check the grease level too.
I will get to it this weekend. All great advice! TIA

The more I looked the other day, I fear there is some gear lube in the mix. I pulled the breather hose and bought new. The hose itself was clear, have not checked the breather assembly yet...The seals are new, I hope I didn't compromise them?

Cleaned up the grease around where it's coming out, checked the breather assembly, which was totally clogged. Put new hose with spring clips and ran new dorman breather next too brake master cylinder, so it's high enough. Next week I'll run the rear to the same location. I had few other items to take care of, and we should be ready for her first trip 4 Wheelin' next weekend!!

Cleaned up the grease around where it's coming out, checked the breather assembly, which was totally clogged. Put new hose with spring clips and ran new dorman breather next too brake master cylinder, so it's high enough. Next week I'll run the rear to the same location. I had few other items to take care of, and we should be ready for her first trip 4 Wheelin' next weekend!!

Check the little hose spigot on the diff housing is clear too.
I've found them to be clogged at the diff housing as well as at the valve

How much moly grease did you put into the knuckle housing? It should be 2/3, 3/4 full, not 100%. Are you sure that you stacked the felt, rubber, and steel wiper arangement?

How much moly grease did you put into the knuckle housing? It should be 2/3, 3/4 full, not 100%. Are you sure that you stacked the felt, rubber, and steel wiper arangement?
I filled them 3/4 full, not 100% The grease is not leaking out the felts/steel/rubber area (not anymore than I would anticipate anyway). I believe the crux of the problem was the breather tube...

I'm guessing the PO had the front axle rebuilt not too many miles ago as the bearing grease was clean, red and plentiful. I went ahead and replaced all bearings, seals and fluids anyway. When we put the lift on, I noticed the breather tube was disconnected at the axle; however, I could not remember if it was attached prior or after I rebuilt? Prior to the lift, we didn't have any grease pushing out and when I put the lift on, I re-attached the breather and about 2 weeks after it was when we noticed grease/axle lube being "squeezed" out. When I pulled it out on Saturday, the breather assembly itself was clogged, so we ran the above mentioned hose and dorman breather...40 miles thus far and not grease...

100miles + or - and no grease squeezing out!

Thank you to @Rusty Marlin and all who stepped in and gave advice!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom