Front axle "clicking" advice please? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My left side front axle is "clicking" when turning sharp and accelerating. I have the front axle torn down looking for anything that I might need to replace. I am definitely doing the standard seal/bearing rebuild. My concern is the fact that I have not found anything with significant wear/damage. As a matter of fact, the only wear that I see is minor on the splines where the hub rides. I expected to find an evident issue and haven't. Can someone give me some feedback on the "clicking" sound that I was hearing? Any advice will be appreciated!

I have some but the problem is the fact that the joint looks and feels good. I will indeed research more.

Nitro chromoly here we go.........
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412440837.904774.jpg

You will have to disassemble the birf to inspect. I recently had my front end apart for rebuild and didn't realize that the amount of wear on the cages would create a problem until I had it on the beach this summer. I am going to have to go in again to replace the birfs with most likely OEM. From what I understand, the chrome moly birfs are not recommended if you are going to be doing any amounts of highway driving.

I heard the same about the chro. I am buying the replacements from Slee. I spend about 50% of the time off-road. Mine is not a daily driver but only a weekend toy. I did ponder the idea of doing chro and locking hubs. That would be a good idea with a cdl. Would have the strength of chro and be able to unlock to prevent premature wear.

all i have to say is get ready for sticker shock on OEM..which i went with..but i don't wheel hard and i figure i got 193k out of them should be the last time i'm ever inside the axle..Chomoly is atleast 1/2 the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom