Front ARB locker pipe. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I had my rear detroit locker replaced by an ARB and at the same time, had the front ARB put in as well :D :D

On the front diff the installer put the pipe at the bottom of the diff, below the pinion. I told him it's gonna get damaged, but he said that has never happened on any of his installations and he'll make a plan when it does happen. The problem is I wheel a bit harder than the average South African cruiser owner and I really think it will become a problem.

Where do you guys put the pipe on the front diff? Any pics will be heplfull. Want to sort it, before it breaks!

Thanks

Bottom placement is asking for trouble.

This is completely wrong. The fitting goes at the top of the diff. The same thing happened to a friend of mine and he posted the experience here. Search under alvarorb or LaCabra and differentials and you may find it. It was approximately March or April of last year.

edit-I found this with a search:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=13180&highlight=Front+air+locker

Last edited:
I know of a guy how did the same thing on his front locker install. And he's
being running it out of the bottom for over a year without a problem. But
all the same get it fixed.

That's crasy ! I bet ARB wouldnt even get close to warrentying something like that if anything happened to it that WASNT damage related.

Why would someone do such a thing? It makes no sense at all.

Pretty easy, the front is a high pinion diff. technician puts it on the bench, takes it apart, then looks at the case and go, ok, this is the top and drills the hole. Except he turned it around since most diffs the pinion is at the bottom.

Mine is not set up like that. Definately get that changed or its gonna be trouble.

In the hundreds we have done... never have they been at the bottom... WTF? Never have I seen ARB service material instructing bottom placement. I agree with Slee, they mixed up the top & bottom and don't want to re-do their work.

The fix is kindve easy assuming they will do the work... get a new seal housing (assuming your copper tube is too short) and have the hole welded shut (by a cast expert or good welder, mabey just a plug?). Then redo it with a top mount.

Christo is spot on with this.

If you crunch it with it on the bottom, you'll also dump your gear lube in addition to losing your locking ability.

Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought :mad: :mad: :mad:

The technician says he was trained to do it like that and never had a problem on any of their installations. He didn't do it by accident, he did it on purpose because according to him that is how it is supposed to be :mad: They are the South African agents for OME & ARB, and should know what they are doing. Christo, it is one of Colin's guys, the PE branch manager.
He said, it will be his problem if I do manage to break it, but I want it fixed now :mad:

This is what it looks like. Already taking a beating, but they agreed and they're gonna fix it.

840759bcf73ba43b07f01aa0cbfc2abe0_full.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom