From Toyo M/T to M-55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New MT tires are working great. Went to see if the ice was coming off the lakes yet and the road were slick with snow in some areas. Was able to keep the truck in 2wd for most areas except the larger hills. Havent put the tires through a good workout yet, but that will come soon. So far, really happy with them.

P1040089.jpg

I have the M-55s in 255/85/16 and I love them so far. I've done desert and been in the rocks and they are incredible. Fairly quite on the road too.

I just borrowed a set of 255/85/16 M-55s from a guy in my local club, mounted on stock 8" FZJ alloy wheels. They hum real loud like a semi or a school bus from about 60-80 km/h. Seem to quieten down a bit over 80.

But everyone else in this thread says M-55s aren't too loud... Quieter than the MTs, etc... What gives? I would not call these a quiet tire at all!!! Much louder than my Duratrac 285/75/16s. One thing is they were manufactured in 2005 so the rubber is a bit old...

I just borrowed a set of 255/85/16 M-55s from a guy in my local club, mounted on stock 8" FZJ alloy wheels. They hum real loud like a semi or a school bus from about 60-80 km/h. Seem to quieten down a bit over 80.

But everyone else in this thread says M-55s aren't too loud... Quieter than the MTs, etc... What gives? I would not call these a quiet tire at all!!! Much louder than my Duratrac 285/75/16s. One thing is they were manufactured in 2005 so the rubber is a bit old...

They do kind of sound like a Semi. I like the tone better than my old KM2 though.

How much air were you running? These tires will run 80 PSI at full load rating. I'm running between 40 - 45 with mine on the pavement, but my 80 weighs about 6400 lbs, as it sets today.

You must have not run M/Ts on yours for very long. These M55s are so much quieter than my Green Diamond M/Ts that it's like another rig. Smoother, too at low speeds on pavement. Also ran another set of Open Country M/Ts a few years back that were loud and rough. To me, these M55s are like A/Ts for noise, but I guess it all depends on what you're used to. :cheers:

Actually these M-55s say max 65 psi on the side. Load range D. I see on Toyo's website, the new ones are load range E max 80 psi. Also the ones I borrowed say "M-55 F" on the side... photos I've seen of new ones don't have the "F". So maybe there are some differences with the older ones.

I tried running them at 32 psi and 65 psi and both were noisy. I've had my Duratracs for over a year now and they are dead quiet in comparison. Wider tire, too.

Really too bad, because I love the skinny look of the 255/85 M-55s and they seem to handle and wear great, etc. Perfect except for the noise!

I have to say that the mts are quieter than the m55s school bus noise. Either way I would run both tires.

Actually these M-55s say max 65 psi on the side. Load range D. I see on Toyo's website, the new ones are load range E max 80 psi. Also the ones I borrowed say "M-55 F" on the side... photos I've seen of new ones don't have the "F". So maybe there are some differences with the older ones.

I tried running them at 32 psi and 65 psi and both were noisy. I've had my Duratracs for over a year now and they are dead quiet in comparison. Wider tire, too.

Really too bad, because I love the skinny look of the 255/85 M-55s and they seem to handle and wear great, etc. Perfect except for the noise!
Yup, mine are the load range E & less than a year old. They are also siped, which I'm not sure if that enhances the quietness, but it sure helps with the icy road performance. Have heard some bad reports on M55s that were not siped for winter perfomance. But one thing that rings consistant for all I've read and heard about the M55 tire - in almost every size. And that is: they wear like iron - and that is an attractive feature in any case. One would hope so - considering the price!$

My average is about 40-45000 miles on m55's. that is on my work fleet. Full size trucks hauling 800lbs. of fuel, on and off road. Key is rotate them every oil change.

Lol was trying find info on these tyres came across this old thread.

Got a 90 F350 diesel had these on with like a 4'×5'×7" block of concrete on deck...spun in compact snow and slush

Next day...siped em

Wow amazing traction in snow now...zimply awesome

Love these tyres and will keep buying them...gotta regroove centre of one tyre will make it through winter...new pair next spring

Reviving this thread I started months ago, well ‘cause work got in the way. since my tires are balding, and I can’t seem to find the Toyo M-55 at an affordable price, I’ve decided to go ahead with the BFG KM3 in 255/85r16 and I’ll mount it to the OEM 8 inch alloys. Question: does anyone know if the KM3 in 255/85r16 fits in the spare location? Looks like if it does it’s going to be close.

should fit fine, mine does, if you are early years, 98-02, you can do the spare tire mod with no headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom