From FJC to 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm 6"!

A little taller with my hat... :grinpimp:

LOl

I did exactly that. I sold my FJC and bought an 80. I was so stoked to be driving a real legendary LC I did not miss the power too much. I had my 80 for a year and missed the power and new polished toyota and bought a Tundra (dont ask). Within 6 months I was back in an 80. I love the 80. I second the visibility comment especially when wheeling. I hated the hummer style high side windows for visibility as far as tire placement and so on. I say go for it. :bounce:

FJs are great but I don't like suicide doors at all and I almost hit several people and cars when backing up in the FJC.:D:hillbilly:

I do have to reply to your comment of field service-ability? I have replaced CV boots, tie rods and a front CV axle on my FJC in the field. I don't carry a rear axle but would if I were to do the Rubi and have spare spindle/steering knuckles and could replace those if necessary .

I've not worked on the front end of an FJC but it looks painful. I may just be wrong. I have rebuilt dozens of 40-60-80 axles and so that is familiar ground and fairly easy to service. It's nice that the front and rear bearings are the same, so that 1 set of bearings can serve at all 4 corners, and thus an easy spare.

I in no way meant to imply that I don't like FJ Cruisers. I do, and am sort of looking for one for my daughter when she returns from her semester abroad next summer. It's that or a Rav4.

Servicing a rear wheel bearing on 100s and I assume FJCs requires a press and a special sealed bearing, that is not in everyone's spares kit.

I in no way meant to imply that I don't like FJ Cruisers. I do, and am sort of looking for one for my daughter when she returns from her semester abroad next summer.

I have a nice one I'm about to sell with only 12k miles! :flipoff2:

How tall are you?

I'm 5'7" and the 80 fits me perfect. But some of my taller friends find the 80 a little cramped. It's probably good to about 6', but if you're any taller, I'd go with the 100.

I'm 6'3" and have never found the leg room or head room in my 80 to be an issue, even on long trips. I do not have Land Tank's seat mod but I did take out that little foot rest.

I have a nice one I'm about to sell with only 12k miles! :flipoff2:

Unfortunately, that nice an FJC would be out of my price range. I'm thinking more like an '06 with 75k miles. We'll see when the time comes.

Jesse,

I was going to tell you about this one, but it looks like you've already seen it.

Looks really nice, but it has been repainted so hard to tell from pictures. Looks like the flares weren't even removed for the paint job, they just painted right over the top. Probably a cheap paint job. There is rust too, so probably not a southwestern truck. I like the cloth interior (really hard to find on 95+) and no roof rack.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-t...-locked-155k-lifted-armored-ready-trails.html

Jesse,

I was going to tell you about this one, but it looks like you've already seen it.

Looks really nice, but it has been repainted so hard to tell from pictures. Looks like the flares weren't even removed for the paint job, they just painted right over the top. Probably a cheap paint job. There is rust too, so probably not a southwestern truck. I like the cloth interior (really hard to find on 95+) and no roof rack.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-t...-locked-155k-lifted-armored-ready-trails.html

Thanks for keeping an eye out Eric! :cheers:

This one does look nice, there is one in PA with a sale pending and I went as far to find out shipping on that but I would rather have a South West local truck for obvious reasons.

Showed the :princess: some pics of 80's and shes into the change because she doesnt like long trips in the FJC either.

I'm going to do this, just have to sell the FJC now I guess!

When the time comes- CALL

Unfortunately, that nice an FJC would be out of my price range. I'm thinking more like an '06 with 75k miles. We'll see when the time comes.

I will be ready to sell my rig by then. I too will be moving to an 80 ot 100 probably late next year. I have 69k on an 06, and will try to get to your 75k requested mileage:D.

I will be ready to sell my rig by then. I too will be moving to an 80 ot 100 probably late next year. I have 69k on an 06, and will try to get to your 75k requested mileage:D.

Good news Stan! Glad to hear you're converting:)

for a family and civilized rides, I'd take the 100 over the 80. The 100 is far superior as a family ride. Not as hard core etc, but better all around for the family role IMHO.

Holy Sh!%@%$@%!!!! :eek: When did this all come up? You didn't mention anything at Pismo.

I've not worked on the front end of an FJC but it looks painful. I may just be wrong. I have rebuilt dozens of 40-60-80 axles and so that is familiar ground and fairly easy to service. It's nice that the front and rear bearings are the same, so that 1 set of bearings can serve at all 4 corners, and thus an easy spare.

I in no way meant to imply that I don't like FJ Cruisers. I do, and am sort of looking for one for my daughter when she returns from her semester abroad next summer. It's that or a Rav4.

Servicing a rear wheel bearing on 100s and I assume FJCs requires a press and a special sealed bearing, that is not in everyone's spares kit.

I was just curious as to what you thought might me close to impossible to field service on the FJC. Thought you may have helped a friend or such and ran across a problem or two. Replacing CV axles on the FJC is pretty straight forward no special tools required and can be done in an hour. Have yet to do the rear so I"ll comment when the time comes. I love the 80's and 100's and would just assume own one than the FJC, maybe sometime down the road.

HOLY SWEET FJ... Very nice! Good Luck and someone will end up with a very nice FJ :cheers:

Thanks! I hope my 80 ideas turn out, should be even better! :)

Nice FJC.

How did you manage to bend the rear axle? Was the replacement under warranty or did you have to eat it?

It was the housing, the axle was fine. I backed up into a big rock, so I bought a new one. It was just really bad luck, if the rock was just a a little less straight up I would have gone up onto it instead.

It's back to perfect now with a new Toyota housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom