From FJ Cruiser, to 80 Series, to GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm gearing up to install my Dobinson's next weekend so I'm going through the same checklist. You don't need any highly specialized tools, but it does look like ratcheting combo wrenches (Gearwrench or similar) are pretty crucial for the top nuts on the shocks. I don't think there's enough room to get a regular extended socket in there. I did see someone on Youtube just cut holes through their inner fender sheet metal to get a socket onto the front shocks which was...special...

Otherwise it looks like the big GX-specific things are the KDSS procedure, disconnecting the front sway from the KDSS brackets rather than LCAs, and not torqueing anything with a bushing until wheels are back on the ground.
That’s kind of what I’m seeing as well. It seems like the Ironman install video is pretty thorough, and makes it overall fairly simple.

As you get into it, do you have a build thread so I can check to see what you ran into or if everything went smooth as butter?

For you guys that'll be doing your own suspension, also consider looking at any of the 4Runner (Gen 5, 150 series) for how to's and videos.
Especially considering that the 5th Gen is almost identical to ours and way more popular for modifying, there should be a ton of content out there.

That’s kind of what I’m seeing as well. It seems like the Ironman install video is pretty thorough, and makes it overall fairly simple.

As you get into it, do you have a build thread so I can check to see what you ran into or if everything went smooth as butter?
I have a thread on here...I wouldn't call it a build thread because I am generally terrible about documenting and/or taking pictures of what I'm doing. I'll keep track of any weird nonsense I encounter and attempt to actually document the install. I don't have airbags or the adjustable shocks to remove which eliminates a lot of potential headache, but something usually comes up with any project.

As mentioned earlier, the Ironman video is the one to follow. Only thing they didn't show was disconnecting the front sway bar. Disconnect at the piston and link… never at the lower control arm. Same thing with the rear. Ironman does show that one but they don’t disconnect at the piston and link, which is a no no.

I installed my roof rack this past weekend and replaced all* interior lights and the running board lights with white LED Lights. Pictures to follow.
I am thinking of getting my wheels and tires mounted this week so they are ready in my garage when I do the lift. However, it dawned on me...if I mount them now, how do I get them to be linked up with the tire pressure sensors??
Do I need to purchase 5 new sensors for this set, or will I reuse the stock sensors?

I installed my roof rack this past weekend and replaced all* interior lights and the running board lights with white LED Lights. Pictures to follow.
I am thinking of getting my wheels and tires mounted this week so they are ready in my garage when I do the lift. However, it dawned on me...if I mount them now, how do I get them to be linked up with the tire pressure sensors??
Do I need to purchase 5 new sensors for this set, or will I reuse the stock sensors?
I guess this just slipped my mind and I’ll need to get another set of TPSM.
I’m looking and I think I can get a set of 5 for around $50 usd.

Anyways, I don’t have great pictures yet but it was a decent weekend!

Stock roof rails and cross bars will be up for sale next week. I will be able to ship them, in case anyone is interested in them. It will include everything needed. :)

B9DA94DE-EA44-49D5-95B6-27007F514E15.jpeg

I think my set of 5 TPMs cost about $125 for the set. I didn't go with the cheapest ones because I want them to work. I also got a programmer that I can use to read the sensor IDs and put them into the computer. With the Scangauge III I can read the individual tire's pressures (and temperatures to completely nerd out). I know that Tire 1pn the Scangauge is the LF, Tire 2 is RF, etc.

On a trip last year, before the Scangauge, the dash tire pressure light went off while driving. I went around and none of the tires looked low, so I got out the tire pressure gauge and checked. None of them read low. Didn't check the spare as it's a pain to do. The light came on a couple times later in the trip then stopped. Low battery?

This made me realize that what I really wanted was a tire pressure reading for each tire where I know which tires have what pressure. Hence the programmer. When I rotate the tires I can reprogram the car so Tire 1 is still the LF.

Reactions: r2m
I think my set of 5 TPMs cost about $125 for the set. I didn't go with the cheapest ones because I want them to work. I also got a programmer that I can use to read the sensor IDs and put them into the computer. With the Scangauge III I can read the individual tire's pressures (and temperatures to completely nerd out). I know that Tire 1pn the Scangauge is the LF, Tire 2 is RF, etc.

On a trip last year, before the Scangauge, the dash tire pressure light went off while driving. I went around and none of the tires looked low, so I got out the tire pressure gauge and checked. None of them read low. Didn't check the spare as it's a pain to do. The light came on a couple times later in the trip then stopped. Low battery?

This made me realize that what I really wanted was a tire pressure reading for each tire where I know which tires have what pressure. Hence the programmer. When I rotate the tires I can reprogram the car so Tire 1 is still the LF.
Can you post a link to where you purchased your TPMS set?
I had to replace mine a couple years ago and was trying to find an aftermarket product, but ended up going with factory at over $500.00 for a set of 5.
From what I understand, there's a good chance the GX will not pick up 3rd party sensors and it's too much of a headache to purchase, install, have them not work and have to dismount every tire to remove them. Just the R&R alone is expensive.

^ I swapped my OEM sensors over to the new wheels at my local Lexus dealer because I had seen a bunch of similar things about aftermarket sensors not being picked up. A thing I didn't think about until after I had Tirerack mount/balance the new tires and wheels before delivery.

So
^ I swapped my OEM sensors over to the new wheels at my local Lexus dealer because I had seen a bunch of similar things about aftermarket sensors not being picked up. A thing I didn't think about until after I had Tirerack mount/balance the new tires and wheels before delivery.
So basically, my best bet is to just swap over the stock ones from my current set to my new set before they get mounted?
Or spend $100 each from the dealer (which seems like an insanely high price for these sensors).

That’s such a hassle. Unmount the stock wheels and tires, take the sensors off, remount and balance, install the sensors on new set, mount and balance new set.
Not to mention it’ll take me two trips to get all the wheels and tires there to do the swap to begin with since I don’t have a pickup truck.

Not complaining, just didn’t quite think all the logistics through. However, I’m glad I did before I got the new set mounted.

Just drive over to wherever the mount/balance is happening on the OEM tires and have them swap everything. The only extra labor is undoing 24 lugnuts to get the stock wheels off at that point.

Just drive over to wherever the mount/balance is happening on the OEM tires and have them swap everything. The only extra labor is undoing 24 lugnuts to get the stock wheels off at that point.
Thank you.
My brain broke there for a bit.

In my head, I’ve got a weekend set to do the lift. And in that weekend, I wanted to install the new wheels and tires. So I’m thinking about how to get this done while the truck is on Jack stands in my garage. 🤦🏻‍♂️
DIDNT even cross my mind to just roll on stock wheels after the lift was on.

Lol, so, instead of having new wheels and tires mounted before hand I’ll just lift it and the following week go get the new wheels and tires mounted.

Thank you.
My brain broke there for a bit.

In my head, I’ve got a weekend set to do the lift. And in that weekend, I wanted to install the new wheels and tires. So I’m thinking about how to get this done while the truck is on Jack stands in my garage. 🤦🏻‍♂️
DIDNT even cross my mind to just roll on stock wheels after the lift was on.

Lol, so, instead of having new wheels and tires mounted before hand I’ll just lift it and the following week go get the new wheels and tires mounted.
Not saying it can't be done, but when Discount Tire tried to use aftermarket TPMS sensors on my GX they didn't have any luck getting them recognized, so had to go OEM.

Can you post a link to where you purchased your TPMS set?
I had to replace mine a couple years ago and was trying to find an aftermarket product, but ended up going with factory at over $500.00 for a set of 5.
From what I understand, there's a good chance the GX will not pick up 3rd party sensors and it's too much of a headache to purchase, install, have them not work and have to dismount every tire to remove them. Just the R&R alone is expensive.

Toyota sensors are pretty generic and a lot of sensors work on multiple frequencies making it even easier to get the right ones. I wanted to replace all the original ones anyhow since I suspected I had a bad one and their battery life is finite.

The sensors I got:

Amazon product ASIN B07D736H6N
These sensors are programmable, if you want to keep the same sensor IDs as the current sensors.

You can use Techstream to program the car computer with the sensor IDs. You can read them off the sensor body before they are installed, then put the numbers into TIS. If you want to keep the tire position straight, you'd have to mark the sensors on the outside somehow so you know which one is in which tire. Techstream's interface to put numbers in is kinda difficult.

The other option is what I did, use a tool that can read them. I got one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B00BHCFNTS
which is overkill but I like tools. With the tires installed you go around from wheel to wheel reading the sensors from the outside, in a specific order. Then you plug the Autel into the OBD port and find the confusing menu selection that uploads the values into the computer. You can also use the Autel to program the sensors with the same IDs as the old one, which it can read from the car. To do this you need sensors that are programmable by the Autel. The ones above supposedly are but I didn't try that so I can't say for sure.

I did test that I could read the new senors with the Autel but did not test writing the car computer. I started worrying when the obvious menu selection (and what's in the manual) on the Autel just got me a set of directions (that are wrong) but then found the less obvious selection that actually works.

I just keep an old laptop with Techsteam in the garage with a text file on desktop with my winter and summer TPMS hex codes. Just twice yearly ritual of programming TPMS. 2020+ can do it all in-vehicle with built in function.. Techstream and 3rd party program tools not needed.

What is the "best" OBDII dongle and Android app. I know some of this has been posted before, but curious if anything newer and better as hit the market that one of you may be using.
Many years ago I purchased a cheap OBDII dongle and just used the Torque app for Android on my old 100 series. I still have it but it doesn't do a lot of what the newer dongles do.
But I'm thinking I'd like to read each tire pressure when I'm wheeling after I air down. This would help ensure I don't have a slow leaker if I puncture a tire on something.
What I don't quite recall is if the OEM TPMS sensors will transmit individual pressures to a "device".

If you want something pretty close to a portable Techstream for reading all ECUs you can't go wrong with OBD Link ... IMO

Amazon product ASIN B07JFRFJG6

It will read TPMS psi and temp data no problem in the 460. It pulls the data from the TPMS ECU in vehicle.

••Screenshots of everything you can monitor

img_0001_c2af4b4008ed0ce0492fa86d0230298d756465bb_5580bab9ed60c414061768f57cdabaad23e1edce.png

Last edited:
What I don't quite recall is if the OEM TPMS sensors will transmit individual pressures to a "device".

They will. They're already broadcasting it to the car, you just need a device that can read the signal. Mine likes to be pretty close to the sensor to pick up the signal fast but it can probably get it from farther away if you are willing to wait. I don't know how far away is too far or if it will work when sitting on the dash. Probably not as there's a bunch of metal between it and the sensors.

For my use it's more convenient to get the info from the OBD port, but that only works when the ignition is on.

Thanks Acrad! Huge ratings on it also! Over 10k, 4.5⭐ reviews!
I just put one in my Amazon cart.

Correct, shocks and coils.

And I’ve got metric sockets and a pry bar. I think I’m equipped for this but it’s just been awhile since I got after it in the garage.
Got my Dobinson MRAs installed yesterday. I would definitely have a buddy or 2 around to help with things like UCA bolts, getting the front shocks in/out without messing up the spindle, etc. For the fronts, I unbolted the sway bar from the KDSS brackets completely and then loosened the sway bracket on the LCA when getting the new shock seated into place. With the sway loose on the bracket, we just needed a little pressure on a pry bar to lower the LCA enough to get the shock seated.

Also to break the ball joint out of the spindle, just go straight for the BFH - a deadblow or little baby hammer isn't going to do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom