Freeze Plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IS there a freeze plug located on rear of block above bell housing or back of head. I just got back from under the engine, I can feel the one on the head, but not sure if there is on on the block in the back, I will have to drop the tranny and engine some to see what is leaking.

Last edited:
Before you drop the tranny, please tell us what year vehicle we are dealing with so we can gauge what engine and transmission you have.

Also, before you drop your transmission, on the FJ60 and 62 there are a ton of HVAC hoses near the firewall and behind the head that could be leaking giving you the impression that one of the freeze plugs are leaking. I would start by checking them first.

Yes, on a 2F/3F-E engine, both of them have a large 50mm diameter freeze plug at the back of the head.

On the block, there is a freeze plug that is directly in-line with the back of the camshaft, slightly off-set from the center line of the block towards the DS.

Before you drop the tranny, please tell us what year vehicle we are dealing with so we can gauge what engine and transmission you have.

Also, before you drop your transmission, on the FJ60 and 62 there are a ton of HVAC hoses near the firewall and behind the head that could be leaking giving you the impression that one of the freeze plugs are leaking. I would start by checking them first.

Yes, on a 2F/3F-E engine, both of them have a large 50mm diameter freeze plug at the back of the head.

On the block, there is a freeze plug that is directly in-line with the back of the camshaft, slightly off-set from the center line of the block towards the DS.
86 2f, no leak from any hoses what so ever, it must be the plug in the block or head casket, the plug on the head is dry, thanks for the reply.

If it is the plug on the block, do you know if you have to pull the engine and/or the tranny to replace it, I dont mind doing eithe,r just what ever is the best way to do it.

You would need to pull the tranny/xfer assy as well as the bell housing/under-cover to gain access to the back of the block.

Before doing that, checking for a HG leak would be a good idea (leak down test/compression test).

Isolating a leak will be key so you don't waste a lot of time, effort, energy.

Is the bell housing actually over the plug or would it be possible to cut a whole in the fire wall to get to the plug.

It's covered- you get to pull the bellhousing...

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom