Free Wheeling Hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever seen Free Wheeling Hubs like these before.

IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG

Hi all,

Those are super old-school, can't remember the brand name.

-Alan

Alan are they hard to pull down and rebuild.

Seen pics of them... 'Living in the Past' would likely know. I can't imagine them being all that hard to rebuild... I'd go for it. Make gaskets with a ballpeen hammer and shell casings, and repack them with fresh grease.

OK after a bit more research these appear to be Dualmatic Locking Hubs and were used on the Willys J#$p between 1941 and 1966. They were also used a lot on early Landrovers.

Ive never seen those before, cool.

Ive got a pair of early, coarse spline warn hubs that are kinda neat looking if youre interested in swapping yours out... They have the twist action just like regular hubs.

D

Thanks D but I think that I will be keeping these and rebuilding them if they need it. After looking around on the net it would appear that you can still buy them from a few places in the USA.

they were pretty common years ago jeeps, scouts ,chevy all used them .i think they were an aftermarket hub i had a 55 chevy panel truck with coleman 4x4 and it had those on it

Those were the first hubs I ever put on my ’68. Very simple inside, it has a ‘star’ shape that goes on the axle and the two levers that rotate a slotted pin. If you rebuild them, check for cracks on the ‘star’, that’s where mine broke.

Jerry D.

had a set on my 45LV when I got it, changed to some Warns, think I have another set on an old axle

They (Dualmatics) were a dealer installed option on my 72. They still work like a charm after 42 years. They get a lot of attention since few folks have ever seen anything like them. The simplicity is hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom