free wheelers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
do mini (hilux) freewheelers fit a disk brake 76? how do i tell if it's fin/coarse spline. is there a different number of splines or anything else?

minitruck are all fine spline in the US...HOWEVER, the issue isn't spline count.

US spec for this, but yours may be the same...

76-78 birfields have a longer shaft, and thusly a longer body for the lockout. Minitrucks/79+ birfs have a shorter shaft, and thusly a shorter lockout body.

You can mix-match some.

minitruck birf and minitruck lockout - run the stock outer C-clip
minitruck birf and 76-78 lockout - run a bolt/fender washer (doesn't protrude thru lockout entirely)
76-78 birf and 76-78 lockout - run the stock outer c-clip

76-78 birf and minitruck lockout DOES NOT FIT since the birf protrudes TOO far into the lockout and you can't put the dial on.

bugger, i had a glimmer of hope of borrowing one off my mates hilux, ohh well back to the board,

the drum (coarse spline) cruiser hubs in australia have a metal free wheeling hub dial, the disk (fine spline i think) have a plastic dial. my only prob is i cracked the dial in a jacking excersize and now can only turn it half way around (it doesn't unlock) anyone got a cheap idea for a fix,

is it possible to put the metal dials in mine? don't want to crack another one.

any way to space a mini free wheeler out to fit?

found this in tech.

01/79-01/90 Cruiser birfields (?J40/45/47/55/56/60/61/62) = Minitruck birfields(79-90 mini/hilux/surf)

does that mean my 1980 hj45 with drum brakes gets fine spline birfs, which are interchangable. including with mini lockouts? or do the drums in that year still have coarse birfs?

foreign spec is TOTALLY different than US....until you pull things apart, there's no way to be sure...

fortunately, it's only 12 bolts and an easy process...hehehe

so how do i tell the diff between coarse and fine?

if i pull off the freewheeling hub, do i expect grease and oil to come out.

if so what do i top it back up with?

can i just change the cap/ dial?

pull the lockout, no grease to deal with. 6 spline = coarse. You can just change cap-dial, quite easily.

I dunno if this helps but when we broke a hub on a 95 hilux we were able to replace it with a free wheeling hub from a 70 series without any probs. The only diff between the lux and 70 series hubs is the colour of the dial. Not sure if the 70 - late 40 series hubs are interchangeable, but I know a lot of other stuff definitely is.

the real late 40's and the early 70's look to have the same free wheelers.

woody if i pull them and there is grease/ 90wt oil, does that mean i should do front axle rebuild, redo seals and the like?

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=4165;start=0#msg31015 date=1060347737]woody if i pull them and there is grease/ 90wt oil, does that mean i should do front axle rebuild, redo seals and the like?[/quote]

a little grease is normal...if it oozes out and is watery then you might wanna do a rebuild process. On mine tho, if it ain't drippin from the knuckle felts, I don't worry on it...

oh yeah, it's drippin on the passenger side now....hehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom