Free Wheel Hub Locks Replacement on FJ40/43 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last edited:
if you have a stock 78 front axle, you have the long birfs, which were stock from 76-78.
the later 79+ stock Aisin locking hub will not work with the long birf.
if you can find the long Asco hub from a 76-78 55 series, those will bolt on, but are expensive
a few options for you are to go with Warn locking hubs, change out your long birfs for the later 79+ short birfs and use the later Aisin locking hubs. If you go with the short birfs you will need to grind the inside of the knuckle ball for clearance for installation.

if you have a stock 78 front axle, you have the long birfs, which were stock from 76-78.
the later 79+ stock Aisin locking hub will not work with the long birf.
if you can find the long Asco hub from a 76-78 55 series, those will bolt on, but are expensive
a few options for you are to go with Warn locking hubs, change out your long birfs for the later 79+ short birfs and use the later Aisin locking hubs. If you go with the short birfs you will need to grind the inside of the knuckle ball for clearance for installation.

Yeah.. Right now it has AVM wheel locks. Are those what it came with? So maybe it’s not the original. Thoughts? Thanks

C5950336-6795-42BE-823F-9688EAA55E1A.jpeg

To be sure what lockouts you need, I'd remove the small screws holding the dial on and see if you have course or fine spline axles. Do you have drum or disc brakes?

Then i'd definitely pull the dial and look at the axle splines. Drums could be coarse spline. The lockouts you have listed are fine spline.

Yeah.. Right now it has AVM wheel locks. Are those what it came with? So maybe it’s not the original. Thoughts? Thanks

View attachment 1875805

AVM is aftermarket, most likely it came stock with drive plates.
you must be overseas? drums were stock up into the 1980's on overseas rigs, the birfs were the same for the vintage of the truck wether it had drums or discs.

The FJ43 came from Colombia,SA. So, since it has aftermarket hub locks, is it assumed that the birfs was changed out for the shorter one?

is it assumed that the birfs was changed out for the shorter one?

No, most likely you have the stock long birfs. you can remove the entire locking hub and measure how far out the birf extends from the hub.

No, most likely you have the stock long birfs. you can remove the entire locking hub and measure how far out the birf extends from the hub.

Took it off. Looks like some of the little spring are broken and that metal stick is as well.

Looks like wide thread.

See photos

Here is the AVM cap pulled off.

Thoughts?

you need to pull the locking hub body off and measure the length of the birf sticking out.

You need to clean the grease out of the body of the lockout, which is still attached to the hub and look inside to see if they are fine or coarse splines. Or remove the body from the hub to expose the splines like 3_puppies mentioned. There should be a snap ring inside the lockout on the axle shaft that needs to be removed along with the 6 bolts holding the lockout to the hub.

Bumping this as there was no resolution to OP’s issue.

I’m working on a ‘78 FJ43 with drum axle (like PO). Has fine spline axles. The locking hubs that came on it appear to be way too short, th4x4 does not engage and spin the front tires/driveshaft.

From the searches and info I’ve read, it looks like I need a pair of Warm M239 locking hubs. These were an option for 9/75-7/80.

My question is, will the Warn M239 hubs fit a drum axle? Everything I’ve seen says they fit a disc axle, but wanted to confirm before I buy a set.

See pics of current locking hubs (no markings or numbers on them) and axle length outside of hub below.

Also there were no snap rings on the axle and all associated hardware is incorrect (OEM hardware on order from @cruiseroutfit ).

E057ADFA-CD0C-4127-86BD-00A73A54F4DA.jpeg

70C7FAF7-2525-446A-A7B9-1B8A724E322F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom