For Sale France 1996 HDJ-80 "Poverty Pack" 1HD-FT, 5-speed, a/c, lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not mine, no affiliation other than that I looked at it.

1996 "Poverty Pack" HDJ80 with vinyl floors, vinyl seats, wind up windows (not electric), manual locks, swing out (i.e. ambulance) doors in the rear, OEM electric differential locks front and rear, H151 5-speed, 1HD-FT 24 valve turbo diesel motor, air conditioning, no sunroof. Very basic version, but with all the best options. Super rare to find these anywhere, as very few were built to this spec. LHD, of course, being from Europe. Pretty sure these had 3.7 R&P in them, not 4.11's. This one only shows about 165,000km, which is just a shade over 100k miles. Color is Moonglow Pearl. Expensive, but hey, where else you gonna get one? Guys spend more converting their trucks to diesel. This one's all Toyota engineering.

The ad is here:

Don't waste your time unless your French is perfect. lol... If you're serious about it, PM me and I can put you in touch with a guy I know over there who speaks French and English (and Dutch and German) who can take care of things for you. I also have heaps more photos that aren't here or in the ad.

Manufacture date is 03/1996. so it can't technically be imported to the USA until March 2021, but storage is cheap and easy to find in Europe. Buy now, store 'til it's legal, then bring it in. Chances of finding another one like this are very low.

Some pics we got that aren't in the ad:
IMG_20200131_141636762.jpg
IMG_20200131_141716667.jpg
IMG_20200131_142148294.jpg
IMG_20200131_142158090.jpg
IMG_20200131_142310895.jpg

Very interesting truck , but there are some "odd" things . This spec should not have fender flares at all , and on the GX/VX versions , the fender flares are the wide ones ( 8/1992 on ) , not the narrow ones like this one seems to have ( on these photos they seem the narrow ones to me , but maybe I am wrong ) . The wheels are also from the GX/VX versions (8"x16") , not the STD wheels . Anyway , a beautiful truck . Small details easy to correct . Belgium license plate and located in Belgium . Expensive , sure , but as you very wisely say , much cheaper than converting from petrol to diesel and original engineering from Toyota ! There are 3 for sale in Switzerland , one in mint condition , about 35k Euros . I wish I could go for that one .

Funny how they show you the passenger seat under the cover and not the driver seat ;)

I was presented a similar one in Belgium last week with even lower miles and a one owner , looked great until I saw the pictures of the undercarriage all rusted out , looking at the hitch and the oxidation on the wheels of this one it probably has the same problem and flares where probably mounted over bad rust repairs . The bare bones version are mostly found on farms or in the hand of small contractors and worked hard.

The fact that it is a 24v truck with low miles and barn doors still makes it desirable to me !

Funny how they show you the passenger seat under the cover and not the driver seat

Like I said, we got lots of photos when we were at the car. All you gotta do is ask....

IMG_20200131_142205386.jpg

Yup. It's got more wear than the passenger side. Not bad, though.

As for rust, it's got some of that, too. It's not completely awful, but it's not nothin', either. That's really why I passed on it myself. I'm getting old. I've been working on cars for a long time. I'm sick to death of dealing with crusty, rusted, head-breakin'-off bolts on the undersides of cars.

Here's the worst of it:

IMG_20200131_143432167.jpg

Tailpipe is rusted through. Pitting on axle housing and some areas of the frame. We didn't see any perforation, though, for what that's worth.

flares where probably mounted over bad rust repairs

Maybe, but I've seen other models with swing out rear doors and flares that seemed factory, and from what I could see, these look original to the car. Owner claims the car has never been repainted, for what that's worth. Not guaranteeing either claim, though (not my car).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom