Found an 80 for sale right up the street (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
And since this is all pretty new to me I wanted to ask people's opinions. Unless it is a great deal or something (which I don't think it is, but like I said, it's all pretty new to me), it's mainly for me to be able to start learning a bit more about these awesome trucks. I've spent the last week or so reading all over this board and a few others to learn as much as possible!

Do you folks who are more in the know have any opinions on this: ebay item #111474404332 since I can't post a link. Maybe someone else can follow up this post with the actual link to it.

I wouldn't buy it because of year, mileage and rust.

Last edited:
I got my 1994 with 177k miles, diff lockers, and just a tiny amount of rust for $3200 OTD

There is significant rust of the rear hatch with a very poor repair job (use the magnify function) and rust along the driver's door bottom. The ad mentions rust but the photos seem to avoid showing it. Bad sign.

Always nice to find one close. Mine was literally one mile away. Got super lucky in a town this small to find one so close, especially with lockers. For reference: 155K miles, great paint and interior and in nice mechanical shape for $5,800 in 2009.

I just went to the supermarket and while buying a scratch-off ticket I saw a pic of a red 80 on the bulletin board. Which are pretty rare in these parts. Turns out it's a '97 for sale with 2!5k and it said: " 6,500 - Negotiable!!!"
Exclamation points included. So he seems motivated to sell.

I was half thinking of buying it for parts to use on my '97.
I could get anyone the phone number if you like, but I realize there aren't too many mudders in NY.

There is significant rust of the rear hatch with a very poor repair job (use the magnify function) and rust along the driver's door bottom. The ad mentions rust but the photos seem to avoid showing it. Bad sign.

Good eye with the Magnify function. I would pass based on the goop, smear and repaint over the rust on the rear hatch. What a mess!

It seems like the front and rear doors bottom and rocker have poor paint touch up for rust as well. I see bubbles on the bottom of the rear door too. I will stay away. I hate rust vehicles, it is just so much more work to restore them. I will take my time to find one that has minimal rust or no rust truck fromt the south.

Thanks for the collective mind folks. I noticed the rear hatch looking like a kid gooped it to hide stuff. I hadn't magnified all the other pics though to dig around. Are those rust areas the hots sports for an 80 and ones that I should pay closer attention to moving forward?

Bad pictures/few pictures= can't see enough detail. Doesn't matter on a dirt cheap or parts vehicle. There's a LOT on Chicago Craigslist if you watch enough. Look in person for that kind of $$.

I paid 3250 last year. 260k miles triple locked really clean. I'm owner #3. Original owner was a dentist who commuted 500 miles a week and the second owner had it for only 1 yr. I had to work on the lockers to get them to function properly, they had NEVER been used!

I've done front birfs, pads and front rotors, master cylinder and fluids, speakers, led's, front bumper, springs and shocks, ya da ya da ya da.

Get the cleanest one for the price you can afford.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412273322.995252.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom