ford v8 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone out there running a ford v8 conversion in a 40 series. It seems that the chev is the motor of choice for the conversion but a stroked 302 seems like it would be ideal. Heck even a 302 that was just warmed up a bit. I know the chevy is easier to come by in h.o. form but the ford is what i have more experience with. I'd love to hear if anyone else has done this swap.

i think there is a marks adapter for it...

My Question WHY  :slap:

If you can fix a Ford you can easily learn to fix a Chevy.Theres a lot more parts out there for a chevy and a lot more you can do,( make the right decision ) hehehe :G

I've been combing the A/A catalog this week, what i've noticed is the little things...like brackets and what not are not available (from them). You have to make your own, the nice part is the distributor is in the front...no firewall clearance problems. If your going to change the transmission you may want to use the Chevy...again most of the available adaptors ect. are for the GM equipment.

Good luck
Jeff

I actually prefer the ford and after driving a mustang since i was 16, i have to say that there are a ton of parts for the 302. I have seen that there are adapters to the toy tranny for the ford and i think it would be easy enough to squeeze it in there even if i had to fab the mounts. I think it might even be cheaper in the long run. just mulling it over before i decide to do it or not.

Actually a ford 302 is narrower than a chevy 350 hence making the job a little easier :slap:. I think the ford 302 is a sweet running engine I liked my old 71 mustang. :beer:

Had a stock 302 in a 60 CJ5 and it was great but it just doesn't have enough grunt for the FJ40. If I was to do my conversion (I got it with a 350 chevy), I would have used a 351W or if I wanted to deal with a bigger block a 351C with the 4 barrel heads.

I'd say go with what makes you like your rig more... but I don't think the 302 is enough.

Scott

If you want a distributor in the front and lots of low end grunt, how about a 440 Chrysler? :G

I have a bud with an FJ45 P/U with one of those in it. Tight but SWEET 8)

i think i might have started a ford vs chevy on a toyota forum
sorry about that. Anyway, i am looking at the 302 in the motorsport catalog that has the gt40 heads and is making about 300 horses or so. I figure that ought to motivate the 40 when it has a performer intake on it or something. I did some looking and the ford has a ton of torque in the low end when running the performer. It is easily comparable to the chevy. I also might stroke the 302 that i have already. Or like you guys said. the 351 would be sweet. oooh even a 351 modified (400 block)!

i think i might have started a ford vs chevy on a toyota forum
sorry about that.  Anyway, i am looking at the 302 in the motorsport catalog that has the gt40 heads and is making about 300 horses or so.  I figure that ought to motivate the 40 when it has a performer intake on it or something.  I did some looking and the ford has a ton of torque in the low end when running the performer.  It is easily comparable to the chevy.  I also might stroke the 302 that i have already.  Or like you guys said.  the 351 would be sweet.  oooh even a 351 modified (400 block)!
My dad's '96 bronco has the EFI 351 with factory dual exhaust, that is one powerful mofo of an engine. It'll pull my 40 at 80 mph and you don't even know its back there. Never ever had to do anything to it or fix anything on it. If I were you I would try to find a late model wrecked bronco and take that engine.

If you wanted the low end torque, why not go with the 300
I-6. I know a guy who beefed up a 300 and put it in his drag car, he would smoke guys with SBC, and 351's alike. But each to his own. Or you can throw in another option and go diesel. :D

kstatecruiser, that is an awsome idea, a turbo diesel will thrash a gasser any day (think Cummins, International, CAT, etc the GM 6.2/6.5's are garbage compared to the others). But to the point, I'm a Ford guy, I tore the Chevy V8 out of my cruiser(had too much bad luck with GM stuff). The 302 can be built to produce tons of power, it would haul a cruiser around with out any problems at all (the 302 was the standard sized engine for the Trans AM series race cars and they were no slugs on the track). Ford V8 conversion are very common in Austrailia, try to find an Aussie cruiser club online and ask a few questions(try the TLCA site). :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom