Ford 9" in a Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
flamingmonkeys.kicks-ass.org
I am thinking about it because of the availibility of a spool, gear options, and maintaining the removable third member. I was thinking of this for the rear but maybe for the front eventually. Anyone ever done this or even thought of it?

Ford 9" is center drop. I imagine you could have a custome made with 9" center and custome axle tube lenths but what would be the point of the extra cost?

Why?
Weld up the spiders or get an Aussie.
What gear option do you want that you can't get for cruisers?

i dont like how low the pinion is, if yuo did want to try it you can get the pinion offset some by just cutting down the one side to narrow it and ordering up one shaft

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=9236;start=msg80490#msg80490 date=1072415057]
Strengthwise the 9" is not an upgrade.
[/quote]

Don't think that I agree with this statement. There is far and away way more upgrading available for that center section, than a Land Cruiser diff. Doesn't Currie sell a 35, and 40 spline spool for it? Further, the amount of people that sell custom 9" rear ends to the street rod, and drag market, you can not say that a Land Cruiser rear would hang in there very long at big time HP. Hell, I know people that have broken ring gears and pinions in sprung under configurations, on the street, playing hard with their V8's...

Now,

I am not saying that it would be money well spent, but there are many people that have been using and continue to use the 9" in off road applications, and do not have a single issue with it. I would far prefer installing something that you know you are not going to have issues with. Granted that ease of working on a drop out is far greater than a Dana, but I do not think that I am going to have to be setting up gear sets out in the trail, because I have done my homework before I headed out to the trail.

Good luck!

-Steve

If you're going to get a side shortened, would it not be smarter to truly upgrade to say a D60/70 and get that shortened?

Around where I live you can get an entire 9" for 100 bucks and for an entire Dana 60 you would pay over 1000. An plus you wouldn't have the convience of a removeable third member.

depends what the spline count is, if it's the 28 you're stepping down.

a buddy of mine with a 79 bronco(w/35's & 351m/402 with a c6 and the np205) went through 3(one chunk and housing and two other chunks) 9" rears in one summer. they where all junk yard units and they were all the 31(or 2 i forget) spline count.
last winter we where in the mnts and he broke an axle, right out at the wheel.
to give you an idea of the terrian, we drove(in reverse!!) the rollback right to front of the bronco.

oh and this truck has an open rear with 4:11's. i hear that the 9" is a strong unit, but you'd never know it from looking at the pile of parts at his house.

and i'm not quite sure where you're going to find a front 9"....

I still don't think the stock Ford 9" is an upgrade. I have broken 9"s but my stock toys are working fine even with lockers and much abuse.

i don't think that stock for stock, a 9" is any stronger then a cruiser.
however they have that nogular carrier(big improvement) and i think there's nogular axles as well(not sure on this one).

a few nice things about the 9"
non C-clip
removeable 3rd member
bearing on backside of pinion as well as front
somebody makes just about anything you can think of for it

but to go through the headache of putting one behind a 2F, i don't think it's time/money well spent, unless you also put one of them np trannies as well....

The only ones I've dealt with were in drag cars. All had narrowed housings and custom 35 or 40 spline axles. These could not be killed, even with slicks, transbrakes, and 500+hp.

The 31 splines maybe much weaker. Although, place the R&P next to each other, and theres quite a difference.

I still wouldn't try and put one in a cruiser. But if that's your thing check this out:

http://www.sunrayengineering.com/main.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom