For those who removed running boards and reinstalled the trim for a clean look... How much is left? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled my running boards and cut the trim section off. The back end is all set, but I still need to trim the portion behind the front wheels. I'm looking for ideas on what measurements folks have used that allows for sliders to be installed and still covers the ugly mounting point behind the front wheels. See the image below. Could anyone share what this measurement is after you've trimmed?

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.15.41 AM.png

It depends on what sliders you get. If you get GX specific sliders then you might wanna leave the trimming until after you get sliders to get exact fitment. If you get 4runner sliders (fits gx because same wheel base but actually a little shorter) then the sliders most likely won't impede with that trimming. I went a tad more than the width of the masking tape. You can always trim more if need once the sliders are on, but you can add trim lol.

It depends on what sliders you get. If you get GX specific sliders then you might wanna leave the trimming until after you get sliders to get exact fitment. If you get 4runner sliders (fits gx because same wheel base but actually a little shorter) then the sliders most likely won't impede with that trimming. I went a tad more than the width of the masking tape. You can always trim more if need once the sliders are on, but you can add trim lol.

Welp, they're getting trimmed tomorrow. I don't have sliders yet, and while they're in the future plans, it won't happen for a little while. Worst case I'll have to source a fresh pair of running boards to hack up, but I can't imagine that I'll trim too much and still have it interfere with sliders in the future. More likely that they won't get trimmed enough (and will just get hacked again once the sliders go on).

I don't really have that option. Its quite hard to find another cypress green gx that doesn't want their steps lol. I'm waiting on white knuckle sliders coming in soon and worst case, I'll have to remove all trimming (doubt it). You can basically tell from the sample pics on sites how much trimming you need to remove.

The white knuckle sliders stop before that trimmed piece anyway. so even if you left several inches up front, the white knuckles wouldnt come in contact. I cut mine way high so it sits flush with the rest of the bottom of the door lines if that makes sense. I did this because i liked the lines and i simply wanted to cover back up the exposed clip holes to make it look clean.

not the best photo but you can see where the white knuckles end. Ive seen guys leave several inches on the plastic fronts with white knuckles and no issues.

SLIDER.jpg

Makes perfect sense @Tanner H — any chance you could share a measurement from the top seam to the cut edge? That looks really clean.

It's kinda up to you. You can alway trim more, but you cant trim less once you started.

Yes, I'm well aware. I'm just trying to get a couple of measurements from folks who have done so in order to get an idea of where to start.

I went through this process and determined that I needed 1-3/4” measured from the top. This will give you just the right clearance so you don’t cut through the clip holders on the back of the trim that hold the plastic push clips. I‘ll see if I have any pictures.

It also helps if you have a steady hand or someone that does to get a good line.

One more item I want to add because I didn’t see any info on this. I cut the rear part as well so I could reinstall the whole trim and running boards clips you have to remove. We all know those are a pain to take off and don’t quite reinstall as tight. I bought a 1/4” x 15’ roll of 3M VHB tape. I applied directly over the rubber gasket that’s on the running board, make sure to clean the car and rubber very well. This was just the right amount to let the trim seat tight against the body and the clips pushed in perfectly.

Thanks. I already trimmed mine to 3" — figured there's more to cut back if I decide to.
IMG_3130.JPG

The white knuckle sliders stop before that trimmed piece anyway. so even if you left several inches up front, the white knuckles wouldnt come in contact. I cut mine way high so it sits flush with the rest of the bottom of the door lines if that makes sense. I did this because i liked the lines and i simply wanted to cover back up the exposed clip holes to make it look clean.

not the best photo but you can see where the white knuckles end. Ive seen guys leave several inches on the plastic fronts with white knuckles and no issues.

View attachment 2439344
What brand/model are these sliders? Very clean 👌

I bought a 1/4” x 15’ roll of 3M VHB tape. I applied directly over the rubber gasket that’s on the running board, make sure to clean the car and rubber very well. This was just the right amount to let the trim seat tight against the body and the clips pushed in perfectly.

if you have time this week, could you take picture of this? Planning on trimming the running boards this weekend. having a hard time picturing this step, but it sounds helpful / worthwhile.

Are these at 11 degrees or straight? My eyes deceive me so I figured I'd ask.

View attachment 2439344

I'm looking to take off my running boards this weekend also. does anyone have a how to some they could share?

I'm looking to take off my running boards this weekend also. does anyone have a how to some they could share?
I guess I'm mostly concerned with cutting the trim piece in order to make it look cleaner. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom