Folding shovel recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

I keep a small toolbag with recovery equipment in my cruiser at all times, mostly for being able to help someone out if needed.

Recently I realized a shovel is an important part of those tools that I'm missing, but having a full-size shovel in the back of my truck all the time seems like overkill.

Have you guys had experience with good compact shovels that are worth your time? Obviously there are the old (and cheap) surplus-style folding shovels but has something significantly better come along in all this time?

Thanks

I like the folding entrenching shovel you mentioned. Lock the shovel at 90 degrees, put it under one cheek and you have a comfy seat for when nature calls.;)

I like the folding entrenching shovel you mentioned. Lock the shovel at 90 degrees, put it under one cheek and you have a comfy seat for when nature calls.;)

Id be worried of splatter on the handle but have at er...

When I tree planted (well actually spraying herbicide) we had a roll of TP around our neck on a shoe string to pull off a ticket and drop on each tree we sprayed to prevent overspraying, that came in handy when you have to drop a deuce later. TP with a string through it, and grab a short pine or spruce by the tip and lean back while holding the top of the tree was one of the more interesting tricks we learned back then.

I don't much like folding shovels, they're cool and all but a fixed D handle spade is just so much more solid to wield, think of runny mud that your trying to get a head of in a mud hole, and a flat edge is no good for digging hard ground. I keep mine behind the rear swingout spare tire and the D handle sticks out as a place to grab onto the tire gate when I open it.

Edit: if you have been on here long enough there was comment from a "mickey rubicon" many years ago, about the shovel was better for hunting with as you never run out of ammo.. Still makes me chuckle, I think he was russian or something.

Handle angle is crucial. Usually a side angle wedged against a rock or tree. I carry a round point shovel up on my roof rack for around camp. I cut about a foot off the handle so it's longer than a D handle but shorter than standard.
Id be worried of splatter on the handle but have at er...

When I tree planted (well actually spraying herbicide) we had a roll of TP around our neck on a shoe string to pull off a ticket and drop on each tree we sprayed to prevent overspraying, that came in handy when you have to drop a deuce later. TP with a string through it, and grab a short pine or spruce by the tip and lean back while holding the top of the tree was one of the more interesting tricks we learned back then.

I don't much like folding shovels, they're cool and all but a fixed D handle spade is just so much more solid to wield, think of runny mud that your trying to get a head of in a mud hole, and a flat edge is no good for digging hard ground. I keep mine behind the rear swingout spare tire and the D handle sticks out as a place to grab onto the tire gate when I open it.

Edit: if you have been on here long enough there was comment from a "mickey rubicon" many years ago, about the shovel was better for hunting with as you never run out of ammo.. Still makes me chuckle, I think he was russian or something.

I just assumed that by now improvements had been made to the standard military folding shovel. I did see gerbers e-tool, and even glock makes one.

I get that a full size shovel is 20x more useful when you need it, but still not worth the space it’d take up inside my truck the rest of the time.

My local army store carries several different models of the standard folding entrenchment shovel, ranging from $15-$35. I've used the $15 before, and it's more the idea of having a shovel than an actual functional piece of equipment. I bought a German surplus shovel though that's really solid and is made of thick high quality steel. The blade holds a pretty good edge and it chops through roots and debris without batting an eye. Well worth the extra money. My recommendation, if you decide on a folding shovel, is to take the time to check out some different ones and get one that's built to really do the jobs that you want it to do.

I have a D-handle on my roof rack as well but for a small shovel I like the Russian MPL-50. It's not folding but it's very compact, solid, and one edge can be sharpened as a light axe. Cold Steel makes a version and a nice sheath. They're on sale at Midway right now.

Recently I realized a shovel is an important part of those tools that I'm missing, but having a full-size shovel in the back of my truck all the time seems like overkill.
Because of the handle length?

I'd just take one and cut the handle to fit the width of the cargo area, maybe put the shovel end against the back seat and tuck the handle sideways. That's wear I keep a golf umbrella in all my cars, and it wouldn't be an issue to keep a shovel there, instead of dealing with a folding midget shovel.

I just put a full length shovel in my car whenever I'm specifically going offroad. Normally on the roof rack, but I've also carried them inside without any trouble before, even in my smaller old Suzuki Sidekick.

I've found these to be a good compromise of size, strength and versatility. Fits under folded down 2nd row seat in an FJ60 easy. Made in USA and great for home use too.

DH12DP-Steel-Spade-12-in-diamond-pt-D-hndle.jpg

Best shovel made is 100 bucks, made by hilift jack co. its a REAL shovel, pickaxe, axe and sledge and Ive used it for years. And more recently to dig me and another 80 guys OFF a shelf road overlooking NORAD we were F&^%ed and I remembered this was in my tailgate. best tool ever breaks down so small I forgot I had it. this is real, not an E tool not some 400 dollars folding thingy.
DSCN0511_Moment(2).jpg
DSCN0511_Moment.jpg

Best shovel made is 100 bucks, made by hilift jack co. its a REAL shovel, pickaxe, axe and sledge and Ive used it for years.
You're making this hard for me. There's no way I can fool my wife on this one now that she's already seen my Max Axe and tool kit.

Reactions: RFB
You're making this hard for me. There's no way I can fool my wife on this one now that she's already seen my Max Axe and tool kit.
Sorry but its the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom