Fog Lights on lower front grill? New Rigid Industries DOT/SAE model available... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mexico may have something that is not Toyota branded. I have not explored that. This was the first and only OEM I have found that attaches in 4 points vs. 2 points from bottom which will not bend and damage bumper with the slightest fender-bender. Westin and similar sold in US are just crap that is purely esthetic and will cause more damage. As well cannot handle lights installation on it.

The OEM push bar is very solidly mounted and nothing like the Westin products.

please post up pics when done. Looking forward to see how it looks. I know I couldn’t fit 10” bars next inside next license plate on my MY19 because of the air dam
I have a '13 so the openings are likely different. Here is a dry fit test of the 10" black oak lights.

06B5F3B9-6426-4BD0-B5E0-75347E89EE8B.jpeg

I haven't finished my installation yet, but I think it will block most of the opening in the lower grilles. Air should be able to get around, but not as freely as if that was unobstructed.

To clarify my picture - I was just checking for size in that picture - the lights will be bolted to brackets on the aluminum bumper bar in the actual installation.

I live in the Northeast, so heat isn't a big concern up here - but I'll watch temps next summer to see if it has an adverse impact.

See this photo from SQRRRL: Fog Lights on lower front grill? New Rigid Industries DOT/SAE model available...

I live in the Northeast, so heat isn't a big concern up here - but I'll watch temps next summer to see if it has an adverse impact.

Ah, yeah. I thought you were working on a way to mount them to the bumper skin.

As for temps the real question is when doing something requiring a lot of airflow.. like towing up a hill in high temps. Owning an 80 with their small grill opening gave me some perspective on flow issues. With those you can get by with a questionable fan clutch for a long time when stock.. (at freeway speeds the air is forced through the radiator) but throw a couple lights on your bumper blocking the grill and suddenly temps climb because it's up to the fan to pull the air through.

SQRRRL seems to have them set back far enough to allow mostly unobstructed flow. I'm just trying to figure out how to copy those brackets in my garage.

One nice thing about the black oak lights is the brackets are simple stainless L shaped things (and are available in 2 heights). I can easily fabricate similar brackets in a custom height if the stock ones aren't ideal.

I haven't finished my installation yet, but I think it will block most of the opening in the lower grilles. Air should be able to get around, but not as freely as if that was unobstructed.

To clarify my picture - I was just checking for size in that picture - the lights will be bolted to brackets on the aluminum bumper bar in the actual installation.

See this photo from SQRRRL: Fog Lights on lower front grill? New Rigid Industries DOT/SAE model available...
To fill the entire grill space would look sweet. Hope it works out.

Quick update.

The lights were installed at Mudrak as I hoped, but after the install, it was discovered the lenses were the wrong color . “Selective Yellow” model on order.

Gary (Mudrak) was concerned about taking up too much of the grill space, choking off airflow, so that is why the lights are tight to the license area.

The install is cleaner than I expected; barely noticeable at night. I’ll add a day shot tomorrow
1C4B62FC-6737-4A9D-80E2-2E02F8AB3CD8.jpeg
EA0C4D1D-02F3-4696-BE15-80A569018836.jpeg
6C912B17-F56B-4AB1-A17E-977B5BB7616E.jpeg

Quick update.

The lights were installed at Mudrak as I hoped, but after the install, it was discovered the lenses were the wrong color . “Selective Yellow” model on order.

Gary (Mudrak) was concerned about taking up too much of the grill space, choking off airflow, so that is why the lights are tight to the license area.

The install is cleaner than I expected; barely noticeable at night. I’ll add a day shot tomorrow
View attachment 2184207View attachment 2184209View attachment 2184210

Could you advise how these were mounted and possibly post a picture?

I finally got my light bars in. I'll have to wait for night to test. They are very bright though.

I went with the Black Oak, with the higher output LED option, and had a local metal shop bend up some taller brackets.

FAF09208-4421-46B3-99B9-66362F0E1B3C.jpeg

CD8BC964-1CE3-4477-B40B-12AC93FAD015.jpeg
F7B29596-41B9-4D78-8E4A-2C5B4E7FB32A.jpeg

45BD5FAF-36F3-4EDB-8334-EE2CC77CC833.jpeg

I wonder if they are tucked too far back to be as effective as I hoped? I'm waiting for some more custom brackets to be made for my BD squadron fogs (hence the empty sockets in the bumper).

Looks great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom