Flywheel resurfacing questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pjohnson

SILVER Star
Threads
Posting this question for a friend.

Please post your answers here as I am going to direct him here to find them.

--------------------
I'm in the process of replacing my clutch on my 77FJ40. I'm running a 2F, 420 trans, toybox and 3 speed transfer with a 11" Chevy disk and Toyota pressure plate. The shop that I took my flywheel to have resurfaced is telling me that I don't need the step in the flywheel and that my disk is thicker then the stock disk. I know that the step is .020, but will that make a difference. I've searched around and see that your flywheels have a 0.26 step. I'm not really clear what the step does. Can you help me.

Dave

------------------

Thanks in advance for the help.

Phil

The shop is lazy, they do not want to pull the dowels.

The step needs to be there to provide the proper clamping force from the pressure plate to the disc, and then to the flywheel.

Do it right now, or pull the trans and tcase again, to redo it later when the clutch is slipping and not holding properly.

Good luck!

-Steve

I don't know that the flywheel step has a purpose, but it is part of the design of the clutch assembly. If you machine the friction surface, you must remove the same amount from the step, or the pressure plate will not develope the correct amount of clamping force and it may not be possible to adjust the TO bearing so that it is not contacting the pressure plate fingers when the clutch is out.

Find another machine shop that isn't lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom