FJ80 Transmission Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Appreciate the quick replies. Took it to a dealer. There was a low rumbling starting at about 32-35 MPH on the passenger side front end only under power (not when coasting). Dealer said it’s an issue shifting gears on the automatic. Don’t know if they “dropped the pan” or not but will check tomorrow and get back to you. Appreciate the offer of the used unit. Let me push back tomorrow with the dealer then get back.

Rumbling is not usually associated with automatic transmissions. More so with a mechanical part like a u-joint, mechanical gear like in the transfer-case or a part in the exhaust system. I would look at the drive lines, transfer case then exhaust in that order.

Since no one else mentioned it, you wrote that you had the brake rotors replaced. This requires taking the hub apart, and if they goofed up on the reassembly that could make a rumbling noise in the area you describe. I hope you don't need a whole new transmission and it is something easier!

First...thanks to ALL for really great help here! I heard back from the Service Manager late this afternoon The info below will not surprise you...

Transmission fluid very clear. Front/Rear both greased. Rear transfer case fluid not as clear as front but not bad.

Dealer now says drive shaft/u joints causing the rumble up front. They think front and rear drive shaft and U joints are ready to be replaced as they (front & rear) are both pretty seized up even though the front is causing the current issue.

They also think "repacking the axle" on the passenger front might be needed.

Finally, they think the transmission IS still an issue but I suspect this is due to 1) cover the initial diagnosis of needing a replacement tranny and, b) the pre-existing condition of skipping on the shift from 1st to 2nd gear. The problem on #2 has NOTHING to do with why I brought it into the shop and sounds exactly like the solenoid issue described above.

There's clearly way more knowledge on this Forum than in a Dealer Service Shop. I'll pick up the car on Monday. I'm still looking for advice on a FJ80-savvy shop in the tri-state area...any/all ideas are welcome.

Cheers!

First...thanks to ALL for really great help here! I heard back from the Service Manager late this afternoon The info below will not surprise you...

Transmission fluid very clear. Front/Rear both greased. Rear transfer case fluid not as clear as front but not bad.

Dealer now says drive shaft/u joints causing the rumble up front. They think front and rear drive shaft and U joints are ready to be replaced as they (front & rear) are both pretty seized up even though the front is causing the current issue.

They also think "repacking the axle" on the passenger front might be needed.

Finally, they think the transmission IS still an issue but I suspect this is due to 1) cover the initial diagnosis of needing a replacement tranny and, b) the pre-existing condition of skipping on the shift from 1st to 2nd gear. The problem on #2 has NOTHING to do with why I brought it into the shop and sounds exactly like the solenoid issue described above.

There's clearly way more knowledge on this Forum than in a Dealer Service Shop. I'll pick up the car on Monday. I'm still looking for advice on a FJ80-savvy shop in the tri-state area...any/all ideas are welcome.

Cheers!

I can assist you. I am in the Kingston, NY area (Exit 19 off the Thruway).

Feel free to give a call and we can discuss your needs. Phone number in signature.

Just a belated follow-up. I had the great privilege to connect with Beno (above) and he confirmed the problem was in fact the front drive shaft and, in particular, the U joint. He replaced this for me in about 30 minutes! He then gave the truck a once over with me to develop a punch list for a later/longer visit to his shop. Again, thanks to all for the incredible insight! Cheers!!

I am very suspicious of it being a transmission issue when you say the noise is coming from the right front end under power. That sounds like a front end or driveline issue to me, and I find it very hard to believe that a dealer- or any technician that's not just a lube tech- would confuse a front end issue with a transmission issue. Then again, stranger things have happened, so...

My questions for you are,

1) How long have you owned the truck?
2) Does the transmission shift normally?
3) What does the transmission fluid look like on the dipstick, what does it smell like, and is it at the proper level (check with it at operating temp, while running, in park)?
4) Have you had the transmission serviced in the past 60,000 miles?
5) Have you recently had any front end service done, such as brakes, tire rotations, shock replacement, or anything at all?
6) Have you jacked up the front right corner and actually looked around to see if anything is loose, such as wheel bearings?
7) Is there any vibration associated with the rumbling, and where do you feel it- floorboard (passenger or driver or both, or in the steering wheel)?
8) With the truck on all four wheels, have you had someone wiggle the steering wheel left and right ever so slightly while you feel for any movement anywhere, such as between the inside of the wheel and the dust shield?
9) When was the last time you greased the front drive shaft u-joints?
10) What prompted you to take it to get looked at?
What’s the problem with the transmission? I was told mine needed to be replaced too it ended up needing a solenoid replaced. Mines fine now. Some shops don’t want to work on transmissions. When they told me mine was done they had never even dropped the pan. I searched on here and found out about the solenoid getting trash in them and sticking open causing the transmission not to shift properly.

I have a 93 FJ80 - occassionally after driving awhile then put it in park for a few minutes (while running) I shift into drive and it it barely moves - being familiar with hydraulics I equate it to a bypass valve being partially open.

Your comment about a solenoid caught my attention.

If you or anyone else has any input to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 93 FJ80 - occassionally after driving awhile then put it in park for a few minutes (while running) I shift into drive and it it barely moves - being familiar with hydraulics I equate it to a bypass valve being partially open.

Your comment about a solenoid caught my attention.

If you or anyone else has any input to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered new solenoids for my '93 on account of the same symptoms you describe. It also seemed like a good thing to replace on a 27 year old vehicle.

I really don't have any other input than that personal update, though. :smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom