FJ80 Starting/Electrical Gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SO I am trouble shooting a problem with my 1991 FJ80, and thought maybe someone might have some input.

A little History: I had a starting issue a few months back where I would turn the key, and only get a click sound like a solenoid opening/closing. After consultation here, I pulled the starter and replaced the contacts. Truck started great untill this latest incident.

A few days back, tried to start the 80, and when I turned the key, nothing happened. Not even the click soleniod noise I heard previously. I pulled the starter from the truck, and ran all the tests the manual suggests (Bendix pull in, spin test etc etc). Basically, the starter checks out 100 percent. So my problem is somewhere between the batterry to key to starter wiring. I plan to go through the electrical circuit diagrams in the manual, and check every fuse and relay in the ignition circuit. I also plan to throw my circuit tester on the wire that connects to terminal 50 on the starter (the wire/clip nect to the positive contact ) to check and see that it is hot when the key is hot.

Anybody go through this before, or have any suggestions about what else I should check? I hate trouble shooting electricity! Thanks

Did you overtighten the 2 bolts when you put it back in? I heard that can f it up. Or maybe you have an issue with the neutral start switch?

take a look at 2 things. one the wire that clips into the starter, maybe its gunked up, broken or ?

2nd, next time it happends wiggle the fuible links around and see if it starts.

other than that I got nuttin ;)

Ross,

>> and when I turned the key, nothing happened. <<

More detail please. "Nothing" as in no dash lights, no seatbelt warning buzzer, no dome light?

-B-

I replaced the electrical part of my ignition switch today. Works excellent now. I would turn the key and the dash lights would come on but no starter. If I held it to the start position sometimes it would start after a delay. I have replaced these switches in 60s and other Toyotas. If you take your switch apart do it over some kind of container as parts flew everywhere when I took mine apart.

Battery is charged. Get all the usual dash lights on when I try to start. Just no starter turning over. I was late getting home from work tonight, so didn't have time to further trouble shoot. I will screw around with it tomorrow and try to check fuses/relays and check the wire tht clips to the starter by the positive contact.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=8816;start=msg76186#msg76186 date=1071534733]

Ross,

>> and when I turned the key, nothing happened. <<

More detail please. "Nothing" as in no dash lights, no seatbelt warning buzzer, no dome light?

-B-
[/quote]

Here is a pic of the clip (aka terminal 50 in the manual) that I think may be the problem. I don't think it is hot.

[quote author=rustycruiser link=board=2;threadid=8816;start=msg76125#msg76125 date=1071527746]
After consultation here, I pulled the starter and replaced the contacts. Truck started great untill this latest incident.
[/quote]

The other thing you did when you pulled the starter and replaced the contacts was to disconnect and reconnect the wiring harness and power/cable from the battery. I would check these out and clean them up/retighten them before doing anything else. Could just be a loose and/or dirty connection.
Tom

Problem Solved!

Finally got around to working on the truck a little more. Tested the wire that ran to the starter from the ignition, and it had no voltage with the key on. So I looked to the ignition as the next culprit. Pulled apart the dash so that I could disconnect the ignition from the harness and test the continuity of all the ports. Once I got the dash out of the way, I noticed a few extra wires running to the ignition. It was the dealer installed alarm and kill switch. Since it had not functioned in years, I pulled apart the rats’ nest and neatly rewired the whole ignition. Whoever installed the alarm was a total douche bag. It was so half ass rigged I am surprised the truck had not burned to the ground over the last decade! I next tested the ignition, and it checked out 100 percent. Plugged it back in, and the 80 started right up. Obviously the remnants of the alarm wiring had grounded or shorted something.

Moral of the story: Clean up any half ass wiring in your truck! You never know when it might strand you 100 miles from home, and cause you to spend valuable time and money dragging your junk home, and trying to repair it in a cold, unheated garage.

Just glad to be able to drive my cruiser again!

:D :flipoff2:

Problem Solved!

Glad ya found the problem, my 92 cought on fire a few years back doe to the poor installation of the alarm, stated a fire in the kick panel(good thing I had an extingueser handy), melted the main harness plug, I had to cut plug out and rewire. Every still works.......somehow ;)

John H

[quote author=rustycruiser link=board=2;threadid=8816;start=msg82756#msg82756 date=1072907424]
Finally got around to working on the truck a little more. Tested the wire that ran to the starter from the ignition, and it had no voltage with the key on. So I looked to the ignition as the next culprit. Pulled apart the dash so that I could disconnect the ignition from the harness and test the continuity of all the ports. Once I got the dash out of the way, I noticed a few extra wires running to the ignition. It was the dealer installed alarm and kill switch. Since it had not functioned in years, I pulled apart the rats’ nest and neatly rewired the whole ignition. Whoever installed the alarm was a total douche bag. It was so half ass rigged I am surprised the truck had not burned to the ground over the last decade! I next tested the ignition, and it checked out 100 percent. Plugged it back in, and the 80 started right up. Obviously the remnants of the alarm wiring had grounded or shorted something.

Moral of the story: Clean up any half ass wiring in your truck! You never know when it might strand you 100 miles from home, and cause you to spend valuable time and money dragging your junk home, and trying to repair it in a cold, unheated garage.

Just glad to be able to drive my cruiser again!

:D :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom