fj80 locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
where can i buy a fj80 locker besids a junkyard (none in the area that have a 80 w/ locker) what else is needed to convert it to a 40 front axel? i was looking at the dawney kit. any comments.

You can not convert it to a 40 axle AFAIK. 80 axles are expensive from a junkyard and I think you would have to mortgage your house to buy one new. 80 axles are consideralby wider than a 40 axle, but carry stronger birfs and a high pinion. They also have smaller gears, although I have not heard of anyone experiencing a problem with them. With lockers from a junkyard that knows what they have, you can expect to pay $1200 each.
I just ran a car-part.com search. $1100-1750 each. The 1750 doesn't even have lockers. There are a couple of bent ones with lockers, but they want $1500 for those.
For that you can get a pretty nice D-60 with ARBs I have to think.

Just about forgot. I wouldn't buy any kit that Downey developed. I have had the expierence of the EFI "kit". The only part it really came with that they had to make was the adapter and it was wrong. The rest was a you-cobble-it with poor instructions and NO customer support.

Gumbster & Tres

You CAN install a REAR FZJ80 Electric Locker into the FRONT of FJ cruisers. You CANNOT install an electric locker in the rear of a SEMI-FLOATING cruiser axle; but, you CAN install into a rear FULL-FLOATING crusier axle.

All you need is:

A couple of longer studs
LONGER splined, short side front axle shaft [need this for the locker to engage the axle]
Different pinion flange [or drill current flange to your DS pattern]
Relays / switches to activate the actuator.

The long splined axle is available from SOR [from 70 series cruisers]; CV Unlimited, etc.

Hope this helps :beer: :beer:

Joe

Keeping it all Toyota is cool but IMHO is would be cheaper to just go to 60's. If you plan on doing hydro assist stick a detroit in that sucker and go. If you have to have actuated, run a ARB. That being said if your dead set on running a HP 80 in front all you can do is watch ebay and lurk on all the boards. Good luck will be needed in finding doner axles.
:cheers:
Nick

Sorry i just red your post over. If your only looking for the 3rd with actuator you will likely need more then good luck... Maybe an act of God?

Moralien

I sure you already knew this, but the 80's High Pinion Electric Locker [front differential] is a smaller ring / pinion then the rear of the 80 or FJ's.

The FJ's R/P is the same size as the rear of the 80's. Since the rear of the 80 is a full floating axle, the locker can only be used in the front [or FF rear].

Joe :beer:

[quote author=Warthog link=board=2;threadid=6236;start=msg50181#msg50181 date=1066025074]
Moralien

I sure you already knew this, but the 80's High Pinion Electric Locker [front differential] is a smaller ring / pinion then the rear of the 80 or FJ's.

The FJ's R/P is the same size as the rear of the 80's. Since the rear of the 80 is a full floating axle, the locker can only be used in the front [or FF rear].

Joe :beer:
[/quote]

I kinda assumed as much since it's reverse cut. Never the less I would think everyone and their mother would still like to get there hands on one. In this case I don't think it's worth it. If he only plans on using the 3rd he's not going to benefit from the wider axle, increaded axle diameter etc, etc. :doh:
Nick

I am seriously considering an aussie locker in the rear and an ARB up front in my 80.

I never had issues with a full locker in my 55 so a locker such as the aussie I would think it would play nicely...and the tales seem to be positive so far.

Hard to beat at $200.

[quote author=Warthog link=board=2;threadid=6236;start=msg50125#msg50125 date=1066011817]
Gumbster & Tres
LONGER splined, short side front axle shaft [need this for the locker to engage the axle]
[/quote]

Sorry Joe, your post was almost perfect... :D For the FRONT you need the long side axle shaft to have long splines--it's the rear that would need a longer splined short side. This is because when you swing an 80 series REAR diff around to the front of a 40/55/60/whatever the actuator goes from being on the passenger side in the rear, to the drivers side on the front. Thus, the long splines need to be on the long side.

And yes, the long splined axle shafts can be found for a decent price, but it's kinda hard to do. You can find it new from the dealer, but you gotta have an excellent parts guy to do it cause it's not a USA part... (I got mine from C-Dan. 70 series FF long splines short side rear for a FF axle assembly.) I have just found out that the axle shafts from 70 series are exactly the same lengths as 40 series shafts (Thanks Rick D) and some 70 series came with factory cable lockers so the long splined long side for the front is indeed available new form the dealer. But anyways, there are some companies that'll make the shaft for ya too. I believe you are right about CV Unlimited, but I beleive Moser does it and there's a few more I believe but I can't remember them. They came up on Pirate--I'll try to find them later...

Also, TRES, if your trying to swap in just the diff, check www.car-part.com dude. I got both of mine on there. Ya, one was ~2 hours away so I just drove down and got it, but the other was waaay down in Texas somewheres. They shipped it to me for $25!!! :eek: From Texas to Northern Utah for only $25 for a heavy ass diff like that... Try it out dude. It might not be as much $$ as you expect. Also, most of 'em will work with ya. There was one in Kentucky somewheres when I was trying to find my second one and the dude was super cool about beatin' prices, but he couldn't beat the no shipping I found. :D

-Ferg-

P.S. Here's a pic of a REAR 80 series locker in the FRONT of my FJ60 axle. Notice the actuator on the drivers side.

axlefrontlocker.jpg

Ben

Thats what I get for replying late in the evening :doh:. I should know it by heart since I completed numerous conversions.

I will dig up the part number - but Toyota does supply a front, long side, long splined axle shaft from a non-USA [like we got them - maybe they mean N.America] 70 series. The part number is burried in the shop computer.

The 70 series have identical axles dimensions as the J4/5, and if I remember correctly - the new Lexus GX470 [prado] is using 70 series axles.......a real expensive way to get FF w/Discs that is a very close swap for the J4/5's.

A friend recently purchased a 70 series front axle shaft from Japan [SOR] for a special conversion, costly though! Moser will make any axle you want - I run these in a FF on my FJ40.

Joe

Yep, I was just editting when you posted again. You're correct on the lengths of shafts being the same in 70 series and 40 series. I was incorrect and have fixed my post. :doh: :slap: (for me)

Also, I forgot to mention I second the motion that you should not get the downey kit. I called Downey numerous times and they never knew what I was talking about. Those guys have pretty much moved on to Minis and Runners. The dudes I kept talking to hade no clue about the e-lockers and kept having to ask some one else and still never sounded like they knew what they were talking about. I wouldn't get that sort of thing from them.

-Ferg-

To find an FJ-80 locking dif. isn't that hard i think Slee has some right now for i think $550, and Spectre was only $450 just keep looking.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=6236;start=msg50211#msg50211 date=1066052427]
I am seriously considering an aussie locker in the rear and an ARB up front in my 80.

I never had issues with a full locker in my 55 so a locker such as the aussie I would think it would play nicely...and the tales seem to be positive so far.

Hard to beat at $200.
[/quote]

Speaking of the devil look what the UPS man just brought me.
I'll give a report after install.-
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom