FJ80 in Missouri? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone else have issues trying to find an FJ80 in Missouri that's decent? Can't seem to find any in the surrounding area. Looking to get into the LC game

Have purchased many over the years. Anything south of columbia line will usually result on no rust. Northern Arkansas and Missouri.

You do have to be cautious of rust. I went to Texas to get my 450

You do have to be cautious of rust. I went to Texas to get my 450
Checked one out in KC from Michigan and it was so disappointing. Perfect body, but underneath you could hit a pebble on the road and it'd put a hole in the frame it was so rusted out

Since your willing to travel you could try looking out west in Arizona, Nevada, and southern California for a nice rust free truck. One thing i will tell you, nice trucks DON'T stay on the market very long. But when the right one does come along, you'll need to have CASH IN HAND, otherwise it'll be gone quick.

Thats were I got mine was California.

Out of St. Louis, but can travel

“Close” enough and populated areas that I’d search are Denver (snow, but generally no rust), Fayetteville, Nashville, knoxville, and Atlanta Craigslist’s. You can do a little greater search by looking at autotempest since they aggregate multiple searches.

Kansas City occasionally has good stuff but rust is prevalent so you’ll want to do due diligence first.

Since your willing to travel you could try looking out west in Arizona, Nevada, and southern California for a nice rust free truck. One thing i will tell you, nice trucks DON'T stay on the market very long. But when the right one does come along, you'll need to have CASH IN HAND, otherwise it'll be gone quick.
I agree but the only thing I would add is that you do trade the fact that all of the rubber bits, the interior, and the paint could have more problems due to the relentless sun and heat that you see sometimes with SW rigs. CA, WA, and OR are the easiest on vehicles and the SE that isn't near the ocean also seem to hold up really well, but you do see paint issues the further south you go.

The dry heat is great for keeping steel in immaculate condition but there is a cost when it comes to everything else.

Really, if I was shopping for a turnkey, rust free 80 in excellent condition, I would make the commitment to searching everywhere and just finding the best truck. I didn't do that, but I also had a different strategy and that involved pretty much fully rehabbing a truck that had some rust underneath but very little on the body and was otherwise in great shape. I probably spent as much in the end as I would have if I would have just bought one off the shelf, but now mine has a tons of new parts that would have likely been needing attention at some point and I don't have a car payment. She's ready to rock for another 25 years with just normal wear and tear maintenance and normal routine stuff like tires and oil changes.

Fly'n'Buy. You will be happy you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom